Ford Power Transfer Unit issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 2009 Lincoln MKX in early July. 55K on it in excellent condition. Got it from a Ford Lincoln dealership. Everything fine for 12k miles until I smelled a strange burnt fluid odor after I stopped driving. Took a look underneath and there it was. PTU fluid weeping from the right side PTU ...known issue. Got a great mechanic who was familiar and had done them with the Ford specific seal kit. So $300 later it's fixed and flushed and filled with new 75-140 synthetic fluid. Along with a transmission drain and fill and coolant flush and fill it's definitely quieter and smoother like McConaghey says a Lincoln should be.😀
There is no drain plug only a fill plug. Considering having them drill and tap the PTU or not and just let them suck/pump the fluid every 25k and refill. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Not sure if there is room for a nipple style Fumoto valve … but always figured you could drain and bottom fill like a lower unit on an outboard …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Not sure if there is room for a nipple style Fumoto valve … but always figured you could drain and bottom fill like a lower unit on an outboard …

Actually the early PTU's did not have a drain plug because they were considered a "lifetime" fill, a very short lifetime with the factory fill in many cases. If you wanted to change the fluid, which is synthetic 75W-140 gear oil, you had to suck it out of the nearly impossible to reach fill plug. Unfortunately many of the PTU's turned the gear oil into solid "tar" long before 100,000 miles. Newer model years received a larger gear oil capacity, ~24 oz vs ~17 oz, PTU with a drain plug and some have water jacket cooling I heard to help with the fluid life. Although I think they now call for 150,000 mile gear oil change. Though chances of it making 150,000 miles on the factory fill are slim. As mentioned there is a worthwhile modification of adding a drain plug if you plan on doing regular fluid changes. If you plan to keep the vehicle outside of the warranty it's a good idea to change the gear oil in the PTU. For our 2017 Explorer I had the factory fill changed at 9,000 miles and will have it done again at 25,000 miles and then every 25,000 miles after that. That maybe overkill but these PTU's do not respond well to infrequent fluid changes if you intend to keep the vehicle for a long time, like we do. Replacement PTU's are costing in the ~$1600-$2000 range.

Whimsey

It is stories like this that make me want rush right out and buy a Ford..NOT! If a PTU requires water cooling for normal usage, then it isn't up to the task it is being used for. Lousy product development and testing, pushed into production, only to fail in use results in an erosion of your customer base. As a business model, it stinks.

A front wheel drive NA Fusion should be reliable and on CR's recommended list. Unlike it's GM cousin the Malibu.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
A front wheel drive NA Fusion should be reliable and on CR's recommended list. Unlike it's GM cousin the Malibu.

Not applicable to FWD only AWD.

Well it's been about 200 miles and it's either leaking at the new seal or overflowing from bring a bit overfilled. Will drive it another 300 miles or do and see.

It's not a bad idea. But I need to make sure that the newly replaced seal will not be leaking.

Folks have been “gurgling” oil in from the top via a tiny air vent hose …
So that same hose should help you to drain and bottom fill …
The super syringe holds about 6 ounces so you’d have to inject and close the valve enough times …
They have volume markers too … filling them is very fast …
They could also help suck thick contaminated oil out …
(I have three of them) …

Folks have been “gurgling” oil in from the top via a tiny air vent hose …
So that same hose should help you to drain and bottom fill …
The super syringe holds about 6 ounces so you’d have to inject and close the valve enough times …
They have volume markers too … filling them is very fast …
They could also help suck thick contaminated oil out …
(I have three of them) …

I think you need to extend the tube to do that.

Originally Posted By: Soggydog
The PTU issues steer me away from considering a new $40k 2017 explorer sport a local dealer is trying to clear out

The 2017 Explorer Sport, which is EcoBoost SHOULD have a drain plug on the bottom of the PTU, allowing a drain and fill. Our 2017 XLT with the 2.3 EcoBoost has a drain plug on the PTU, which I had the dealer do a drain and fill on. Also these newer PTU units have have a greater fluid capacity and mechanical redesigns that are suppose to help with longevity compared to the earlier units. They still say it's "lifetime" except for "severe" service where it's 30,000 miles. I'd use the 30,000 mile PTU service no matter what your service is, unless you're leasing or don't plan to keep it for the long haul.

Whimsey

0.53L in the PTU per an online owners manual … I’d have the salesman ask the shop what the capacity is and what a fluid change costs …mine was 18 oz… but only drains about 15 oz

Think the first change is the most important

I researched PTU issues with fords quite a bit when I was considering an SHO. The "performance" equipped vehicles in most cases (SHO perf pack, explorer sport) have drains for the PTU. The "regular" AWD Fords do not. They also hold very little fluid, and the exhaust in many cases routes near the PTU. All this is a disaster for the PTU. People who cared about the life of the unit tapped a drain, and were draining/filling every 10k miles. There are pictures online of them all gummed up from burning up the little amount of fluid that was in there.

If I had one, I'd drain/fill at every, or every other OCI depending on driving conditions.

0.53L in the PTU per an online owners manual … I’d have the salesman ask the shop what the capacity is and what a fluid change costs …mine was 18 oz… but only drains about 15 oz

Think the first change is the most important

Our 2017 XLT 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer spec's 23.7 oz for it's PTU. I had it changed at the dealer for $110 with fluid at 9,000 miles, well worth it if you intend to keep your vehicle a long time. Hopefully my Indy or myself will be able to do the fluid exchanges for the PTU and rear diff in the future.

Whimsey

By way of update. So shortly after installing new seals on the right side of the PTU, it started leaking slowly agsin. The telltale gas chamber the cabin becomes when you stop or park snd the HVAC is on. I took it back to my indie mechaniv...they are good. He first ordered a new axel which isn't all that expensive but then realized it wasn't the axel it was a "stub axel" ....short piece. It was scratched up and the originally tried cleaninf/polishing it up but it must have torn the sesl from the transmission case up. He ordered and installed a new one with new seals again for the trans snd PTU. Flushed and filled the PTU with synthetic 90-140 fluid and refilled the trans with Mercon V synthetic. It's quiet, smooth and zero leaks. I am going to have him drill and tap in a brass drain plug so the fluid can be changed every 15-20,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back