Do I need high mileage oil with 83k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've narrowed down my 2 options for an oil change to walmart and a fleet tire place. WalMart uses Castrol High Mileage Conventional Oil ($35) and Fleet Tire uses Kendall Synthetic Blend($27.50). I've decided that I have to go to one of them today but I wanted to hear you guys out one final time about the whole high mileage situation.

I'd do the Syn Blend at Fleet Tire for $7.50 less. Plus you don't have to go to Walmart. I like high mileage oil just fine but if you're not leaking or burning any it isn't necessary.

If you car is a long runner (Honda, etc) then your milage is no so high. But I would run the SemiSynthetic over dino anyways.

i had a similar choice last year for my snowbird yaris that maybe gets driven 3k mikes/yr. after some reseach i did a kendall gt1 semisynthetic oil change at superior tire for $23. very happy. i will change again in spring at 5k miles, 18 months. i would go with the kendall.

I'm at 298,000 miles and haven't switched to High Mileage oil yet. Waiting till like 400-500k before I consider this rust bucket as having "high miles". Hahaha.

Wouldn't hurt but not required. Is it leaking oil or burning oil? If so you might want to consider HM oils.

I'd me more concerned about the cheap filter they're going to use; that's why I change my own oil so I can use the filter I want.

Great point Merkava
smile.gif

Maybe thrown in some high mileage 20W50,a bottle or two of Lucas,and a can of STP just to be "safe"
laugh.gif

Just kidding of course
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Mythical_Legend
I've narrowed down my 2 options for an oil change to walmart and a fleet tire place. WalMart uses Castrol High Mileage Conventional Oil ($35) and Fleet Tire uses Kendall Synthetic Blend($27.50). I've decided that I have to go to one of them today but I wanted to hear you guys out one final time about the whole high mileage situation.

No, you don't, unless you have burning or leaking issues with the vehicle in question.
Many times, HM oil is used as a wallet flushing opportunity for OC places (this has been my experience.)
I'd either go to Fleet Tire or get the QS change at WM (usually < than $20.)

I have taken gasoline engines to over 250,000 miles and never used one of those HM oils. Taken diesel engines to over 1 million miles and just the same oil I was using the entire time. I suppose the HM oils might have something to bring to the party, but I haven't found a need for them. It almost seems like just a marketing thing to broaden a brand's market coverage. I could just be cynical about what has been thrown around out on the market when it comes to engine lubrication. Too many snake oil salesmen have skewed things.

If the engine has been abused by dino and sludge and heavy varnish are present, then a quality Synthetic HM oil may be helpful. However if your engine is still clean then I see no reason to use HM oil, with the exception of possible oil weeping past seals or gaskets.

Originally Posted By: tig1
If the engine has been abused by dino and sludge and heavy varnish are present, then a quality Synthetic HM oil may be helpful. However if your engine is still clean then I see no reason to use HM oil, with the exception of possible oil weeping past seals or gaskets.

But if you find it on sale for less which is the case sometimes it isn't going to hurt even that engine with 15K on it!

I have 163k on my 2010 Chrysler Sebring 2.4L, and have used nothing it Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 since I bought it almost six years ago. Just recently I switched to Castrol Magnatech 5w30 for the last two changes. The oil level only drops less than halfway between full and add on the dipstick between 6.5k oil changes. So unless you're leaking oil, I'd say just keep using what you've been using.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: AnthemBassMan
I have 163k on my 2010 Chrysler Sebring 2.4L, and have used nothing it Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 since I bought it almost six years ago. Just recently I switched to Castrol Magnatech 5w30 for the last two changes. The oil level only drops less than halfway between full and add on the dipstick between 6.5k oil changes. So unless you're leaking oil, I'd say just keep using what you've been using.

L8R,
Matt

Stand back quick that Chrysler motor is going to explode any second now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back