Castrol EDGE 0W40 OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is EDGE 0W40 considered a long drain oil ? ... Son forgot to write down his mileage on last oil change in Nov. with the EDGE 0W40 (well maintained Jeep 4.0L , 60% suburbs / 40% highway way) ... Thanks !

It likely should be considered a long run oil. It is ACEA A3B4 approved, BMW LL-01 and Mercedes 229.5 as well. In those cars in Europe they go a very long time before changing the oil in those cars. 10k miles is a minimum and 15k miles usually where it is changed.

A high quality oil for sure. I assume it's rated BMW LL-01. If so the OLM on my BMW would recommend a change after about 25,000 Km. The BMW shop foreman advised changing it half way through that interval, so say 12,500 Km = 7800 miles. It comes out very clean after that interval (for whatever that's worth).

Assuming you don't have an especially needy engine, a reasonable interval would be around 7500 miles.

I use it in my Mercedes. Oil drain interval is 10k. Normally I change it at 8-9k, but I just went 10.5k on it. The older Mercedes spec used to be 13k oil changes, but I guess that freaked out too many US buyers so they lowered it to 10k.

An A3/B4 by definition is an extended drain oil. I would say you'd be fine to at least 10k.

November isn't a huge deal if you can remember the date he changed it. Figure out what he drives a week and do the math.

How far are you thinking it's going to run in the 4.0?

I'm not easy on mine and I try to shoot for 6500 on Supertech 10w-30 synthetic.

I used the 0W40 in our 3800 and it was great. The car was totaled at 8K into the OCI but still had life left. I have the 0W30 in the old Camry now and will run it to 10K with confidence in my well maintained engine. You should be good!

I run it between 8 and 10k miles in my F150. UOA have been pretty good

Thanks for the replies ... 8K ~ 10K should work then as a A3 / B4 oil .

Originally Posted By: BeerCan

How long does it take you to get to 8,000 miles ? I'm taking a survey.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: BeerCan

How long does it take you to get to 8,000 miles ? I'm taking a survey.
smile.gif

Sometimes I can make 8k in as little as ~3.5 months sometimes 8 or 9 just depends on where I am going
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back