Found a Segway in the trash??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was driving around in a real nice part of my town and saw a Segway leaning up against the garbage cans.
They were also throwing out what looked like a bunch of nice condition outdoor patio table and chairs.
Lifted the beast into my trunk. Must weigh 80lbs.
It is an i167 model.

Plugged it in an it seems to be charging, light is solid green.

Handlebars seem loose/broken.

No key.

Not sure what I can do with this ?
Any way to fix it? Bypass the key?
Mb it is just a big paperweight?

Of the key? Looks like this on the handle bars?
i167instrumentsdisplay.jpg

First thing I thought, it’s been stolen and joy ridden until the hoodlums wrecked it. Who throws something like this away? Are they not expensive?

Serial number says it was made in 2003.
I think they were like $5000 new.
Like I said this is a really expensive part of town.

Mb tomorrow I should knock on their door and ask what's wrong with it?

Or if they have the keys? (Watch them say they threw them in the trash can right next to the segway) (I looked, trust me)

Last edited:
Knock on the door and explain the situation: IMO I believe they would share the details with you. Segway could probably provide a replacement key, or a locksmith.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
Knock on the door and explain the situation: IMO I believe they would share the details with you. Segway could probably provide a replacement key, or a locksmith.

That's why I asked for a picture, it has some electronic/magnetic key a locksmith won't be able to help with.

In my neighborhood, whatever is left outside of the trash cans doesn't get picked up. Union contract says the drivers are not allowed to leave the truck.

I think that is just a magnet key like some of the jet skies have. Try a magnet in the center, then you should be able to turn the key with the 2 tiny knobs that stick up.

I was up late doing research on the keys, they are encoded little pucks the size of a quarter.
Are each flashed with a unique code tied to each segway but are easy to get a copy made if you already have a key.

Segways are so cool. We've rented them 3 or 4 times and taken tours. The handlebar is supposed to lean from side to side to help you turn so maybe not broken. If you can get it to go watch a video on how to get on and ride it or you'll end up on the ground.

A 14yr-old Segway can't have much commercial value. It may still work adequately (or can be revived to do so), but I'd be more concerned about its Ni-Cad battery getting thrown into the landfill, rather than recycling.

Update, I called Segway and they ordered a set of keys for $70.

Wife thinks I'm crazy... I told her it can be one of my Christmas presents...

I'm thinking this will be fun to tinker with.

Worst case scenario I bet I could sell it for more than $70 with the keys...

Last edited:
Wow nice find dude!

I'm sure they (segway)would fix it up for a nominal cost. I think the factory is near me, IIRC in Manchester.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back