Status
Not open for further replies.
Exide power sport battery:

https://www.opticatonline.com/part/exide-20ch-[censored]

Importation tariff code 8507.10.00

Sad
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Prolly higher quality than the USA made ones.

I thought they had a reputation of poor quality ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Prolly higher quality than the USA made ones.

I thought they had a reputation of poor quality ?
yep. Imo exide is junk. Maybe the chinese is an upgrade?

My socks, shirt, pants, and shoes I have on are all made in China. I think everything is made in China it seems like. I hate it. I don't get it either, just to make more profits. Swear words.

Originally Posted By: Kira
The link worked but showed that the product couldn't be found.

After the last dash in link the letters B and S together as suffix for the product number are triggering the forum auto-censor. B and S together is a form factor (fitment) suffix for power sport batteries.

I got that wrong. B S as a suffix means Bottle Supplied (acid pack), it's not a form factor designation.

It makes sense for powersport batteries to be made in China or Taiwan for the lower-end non-AGM stuff, JCI brings them over and some of Yuasa's wet stuff is made in Taiwan. But if this happens for bigger batteries...

Don't blame consumers for the shift of production to China.

Consumers want lower prices, but they want quality more. That way brand names sell products, and a brand name is usually worth far more than physical assets of a company.

Even when goods are sold at far more than their production cost, a company will dismantle their factories and ship the tooling to China. That's not driven by consumers demanding low prices, that's a company trying for that last little bit of short-term profit, even if it destroys their long-term value.

Battery is probably pretty low tech and compete only on pricing and warranty length (which is also an equation of pricing when you think about it).

I would think that lead acid (or at least the lead part) would be done in the US or Mexico because of the weight and reduced labor cost, but the hazmat reason probably guarantee it not to be done in the US (class action, EPA), especially when it can be done with minimal labor.

I get a kick out of people fussing about stuff being made in China. Reason why, is because I remember my parents back in the 50's and 60's saying the same thing about the junk coming over here from Japan. Heck, the last furniture I bought was made in Vietnam, and 50 years ago I was in a war with them. Probably some of the same NVA I fought against have their kids making it or running the company. That's life.

Originally Posted By: nthach
It makes sense for powersport batteries to be made in China or Taiwan for the lower-end non-AGM stuff, JCI brings them over and some of Yuasa's wet stuff is made in Taiwan. But if this happens for bigger batteries...

Actually it's AGM type that there are a lot of coming from China.

Originally Posted By: anndel
Hope Interstate don't go the china route. I'm guessing Johnson Controls still makes Interstate.

I do believe that Johnson Controls is sourcing batteries from other cheap places like Mexico and even Saudi Arabia.

With the high density of batteries, they must be able to make them really cheap in China in order to ship and still make a good profit. Ed

I just bought a Bosch (Exide) AGM Group 48 battery during the recent Pep Boys combined Black Fridaysale & rebate, it's still Made in USA.

IIRC there are no active lead mines left in the USA. All domestic lead for battery manufacturing etc. in the USA now comes from recycling. Any additional lead demand not satisfied by recycling must therefore be imported. Makes sense for it to be imported as part of finished goods instead of just raw ingots. The difference in shipping costs is no doubt small relative to the value of finished goods vs. lead ingots.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
With the high density of batteries, they must be able to make them really cheap in China in order to ship and still make a good profit. Ed

They are the 2nd largest auto market now and just had a recent downturn, so I'd imagine a lot of factory willing to just break even, or use export trade as a way to move money oversea (sell international and keep money international, pay the manufacturing with local money).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back