Speaker interference with iPhone/ aux. cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a cheap $40 radio for my truck since the factory radio was on it's last leg. No iPhone control. Just a auxiliary and USB port.

For whatever reason, whenever I use the 3.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, I always get some sort of static/ clicky interference in the speakers. I imagine it's my phone emitting some sort of signal. I've used different cables with the same results. Makes listening to it pointless most of the time so honestly I've given up for now. FWIW, it works fine in say a 2016 model vehicle with an auxiliary port built into the factory system.

What could be causing this? I am not too "car audio" savvy. I have a nice Kenwood in my Jeep that was a (at it's time: 2010) flagship model with iPhone controls. No issues whatsoever even with my newer iPhone 6S.

Unplug the phone from the charger, that should get rid of the ground loop.

If not that cheap radio may have a faulty aux jack. I have repaired a few with broken solder joints to tye pc board. Have you trsted it with a walkman or other? And wiggled the connection.

If not it might be phone radio interference getting into the audio front end and overloading it. In that case you might get a ferrite ring core from radioshack and coil you cable through it few times to kill the high frequency fuzz.

Most audio inputs have input. Filter capacitors on them for this. At $40 pricepoint they might not bother.

Get a Bluetooth to aux in adapter.

You may lose a bit of sound quality, but you won't necessarily notice it. Very convenient.

Should have mentioned the noise happens without being plugged in the charger.

Is the charger still plugged in? Some of them are quite noisy electrically. Get rid of all the chargers and see if the noise continues.

Make sure the cable doesn't run anywhere near the back or front of the phone. It's most likely the phones transceiver that is creating the noise.

Does it sound like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back