Looks like I need cam/crank sensors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my I35 stalled on me twice this past week, something it's never done before. After a couple of minutes, it started up again and drove like nothing happened. The idle has also gotten rougher and the car jerks initially on hot restarts. The CEL came on today along with the TCS OFF and SLIP lights. Didn't get a chance to scan for codes but these symptoms are classically indicative of bad cam/crank sensors on this vintage Nissan/Infiniti vehicles. Going to order up all 3 Hitachi sensors on RockAuto tomorrow after I confirm the codes.

Luckily R&R isn't that bad. Only sensor I need to get under the car for is the crank sensor, since it's located near the oil pan.

Last edited:
Are they both 3-wire sensors? You could always backprobe the signal wire when the engine doesn't start to see if the computer is getting the signal.

The autozone sensors "seem" to last just as long as the Hitachi's but have a lifetime warranty.

Sounds like crank position sensors. I did 02 Camry where the symptoms was like yours, no start no run then after several minutes started up and ran fine like nothing's wrong. Sorry, this was 8 years ago so I forgot the code, think it was P0335.

When it happened on my L67 Caprice, I carried a half gallon of water in the car...tipped it over the sensor to cool it, and off I'd go.

Until the new (ebay) sensor turned up, and I could get the pulley off, it would stop within 1/8 mile of the same spot on the way to work.

Plugged in my scanner and the code is P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Bank 1. Although only one sensor is setting a code, I still ordered all three because they're all known to be problematic on these cars.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The autozone sensors "seem" to last just as long as the Hitachi's but have a lifetime warranty.

Parts store sensors don't work right on these cars from the get-go.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Plugged in my scanner and the code is P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Bank 1. Although only one sensor is setting a code, I still ordered all three because they're all known to be problematic on these cars.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Parts store sensors don't work right on these cars from the get-go.

Yes they do. We install the autozone ones all the time (owner likes them). Never had a single comeback.

New sensors installed. No more CEL and the car is idling smoother now. The stalling was intermittent but hopefully that's gone for good.

New sensors installed. No more CEL and the car is idling smoother now. The stalling was intermittent but hopefully that's gone for good.

You took a big chance. A broken wire to one or both sensors would have produced the same code.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

You took a big chance. A broken wire to one or both sensors would have produced the same code.

I agree with your sentiment

But maybe you haven't worked on enough Nissan's to know that it's literally that common of a problem

Like a Toyota intermediate shaft

Or a Chrysler front end component

Or a Ford camshaft synchronizer

Or an intake job on a 3.1/3.4/3800 GM engine

It's so well recognized and common, you do the job out of precaution

It's not if, it's when

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back