More clogged filters at the as station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only idiot that realizes when a fuel filter is clogged? I'm at the gas station this morning and there are three diesel trucks needing to re fuel when I realize the pump is only putting out a gallon or so every 45 seconds. Then the part that really irked me was the guy across from me was like hey, I wonder why the guy waiting for me drove off, he knows we have big tanks. The dude is completely clueless and I was like the filters are getting clogged. Then he starts talkin about what kind of fuel mileage my truck gets. He's like I bet it gets 19mph towing that trailer. Really?? He owns the same truck, the same color even!!! Then I forget to press yes for a receipt, so I'm like oh well I get one inside and go to the bathroom and tell the attendant. The attendant couldn't care less and at this station they are actually the ones who service the pumps because ive seen them change out the filters.

It's OK to vent. What you saw and any extrapolations you drew are likely dead-on accurate.

Also, it SOUNDED like you may have had a sour coffee that morning....which is OK too as you didn't take out a machete' and start swinging.

Honestly, sloppiness irritates. You're not alone.

You may want to consider Costco for your future gasoline purchases.

Nevermind. They don't have diesel at Costco.

My peeve is the windshield wash stations. It should be law that if they're present, at least 50% of them need some usable tool and water in them.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Am I the only idiot that realizes when a fuel filter is clogged? I'm at the gas station this morning and there are three diesel trucks needing to re fuel when I realize the pump is only putting out a gallon or so every 45 seconds. Then the part that really irked me was the guy across from me was like hey, I wonder why the guy waiting for me drove off, he knows we have big tanks. The dude is completely clueless and I was like the filters are getting clogged. Then he starts talkin about what kind of fuel mileage my truck gets. He's like I bet it gets 19mph towing that trailer. Really?? He owns the same truck, the same color even!!! Then I forget to press yes for a receipt, so I'm like oh well I get one inside and go to the bathroom and tell the attendant. The attendant couldn't care less and at this station they are actually the ones who service the pumps because ive seen them change out the filters.

But say there are people on here that will tell you how much more effective those kind of filters are. Be thankful for the ultra clean fuel. LOL

In Southern California, my Costco has Diesel and it blows away everyone on price. From 5:30 a.m. to about 6:30 a.m. it is amazing how many commercial vehicles fill up there...dump trucks, etc. I am lucky in that regard.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
My peeve is the windshield wash stations. It should be law that if they're present, at least 50% of them need some usable tool and water in them.

+1

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
In Southern California, my Costco has Diesel and it blows away everyone on price. From 5:30 a.m. to about 6:30 a.m. it is amazing how many commercial vehicles fill up there...dump trucks, etc. I am lucky in that regard.

Yes and Costco isn't selling it at a loss!

If it were gasoline there's some leak detection gizmo that slows the pump way down if it thinks there's a leak. It's at least partially meant to make the customers complain. IDK if diesel pumps have those, too.

32.gif
The big rig pumps fit my mercedes and normally pump so fast I have to throttle down due to foam shooting out the filler neck.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Or froze solid in winter....

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If it were gasoline there's some leak detection gizmo that slows the pump way down if it thinks there's a leak. It's at least partially meant to make the customers complain. IDK if diesel pumps have those, too.

Diesel pumps do indeed have these. When you first start you need to let the pump reset to zero and then still wait a second or two before pulling the nozzle handle up. If you get one going super slow..sometimes just shutting off the nozzle for 20 seconds re sets it. I do know if you try and do any kind of slow top off at the big pumps at a Flying J or Pilot..after a bit the pump will just shut off and will not re-start because it thinks it has a leak.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

32.gif
The big rig pumps fit my mercedes and normally pump so fast I have to throttle down due to foam shooting out the filler neck.

I always make it a point to use "The Fat Pipe" any time I can.
smile.gif

QuikTrip and RaceTrac are my go to stations for diesel because the mantra coming from the head office filters all the way down to the store level.....clean stations, clean pumps, fast and friendly service.

I wish Costco in Georgia had diesel but I really don't know if it would be the $$$ benefit that gasoline was. I was regularly saving .30-.50/gallon on premium unleaded at Costco. Sams Club has diesel but there is no savings vs the QT I typically fill up at so not even worth switching my membership from Costco to Sams.

Originally Posted by Alex_V

I agree, but you would not realize how many times these squeegees are stolen at gas stations or trash and other weird things end up in the water. They are a huge pain to the facility.

Sure it wasn't something else? Years ago I used to use a diesel pump that would be slow as molasses however, if you set the laid nozzle flat on the ground for about a minute it would then pump at the normal rate. It was the weirdest thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back