Slow cooker recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've completely fallen in live with my slow cooker; I cook one large recipe on Sundays and have the leftovers for either lunch or dinner a few times over the week.

Currently doing chicken with potatoes, onions, carrots, green beans, and a mixture of Dijon mustard, honey, soy sauce, and Italian dressing for the sauce.

A few recipes I've recently done. The pork chili verde was the best I've ever had, hands down! I combined a few recipes to make kind of a pork green chili stew with potatoes.

https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/crock-pot-pork-chile-verde/

https://barefeetinthekitchen.com/best-green-chile-stew-recipe/

I did it in the slow cooker though and used Herdez Salsa verde and Green chili enchilada sauce, plus a ton of roasted hatch green chilies diced up; I also sauted 1 onion, 1 tomato, and 1 green bell pepper and put it in the crockpot. I used a packet of fajita seasoning mix as well and didn't flour the cubed up pork when frying it, just fried it and stuck it in the crockpot and let it rip for about 6 hours. It was award winningly good.

The other great easy recipes I did recently in the slow cooker: balsamic chicken with brussel sprouts and taters.

http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51434/slow-cooker-balsamic-chicken-recipe/

I do pot roasts all the time as well when chuck roast is on sale, but everyone knows how to do those.

What are your favorite slow cooker recipes???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Currently doing chicken with potatoes, onions, carrots, green beans, and a mixture of Dijon mustard, honey, soy sauce, and Italian dressing for the sauce.

Sounds very good. Do you have the recipe for that one above?

I just kind of thought it up. I put hole peeled carrots in the bottom with sliced onion, layered sliced potatoes after that (seasoning each layer with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder), and put chicken thighs on top. I also added a ton of sliced garlic and Italian seasoning blend to the sauce; I whisked together the mustard, honey, dressing, and soy sauce and poured it over top. About a cup of the Italian dressing, big squeeze of mustard, couple drips of soy, and a big squeeze of honey. I'll put the green beans in an hour before dinner.

Last edited:
Agree. It's great to get home from work and dinner is ready, and I don't have to whip anything up !!

Coincidentally, I have a "chili roast" in my crock pot right now, filling the house with a delightful aroma. I got the idea from another post on this forum a couple of months ago. It's basically my own chili recipe except the chuck roast goes in whole with the rest of the ingredients. After six hours I pull out the roast and shred it into varying sized chunks and return it to the pot for another two hours. It is exceptional! I have made many batched of chili in my life, but had never thought to use a slow cooker. I recommend it highly, not matter what chili recipe you like.

I uses a ton of recipes from Allrecipes.com for the Slow Cooker and our instant pot pressure cooker. Can't eat better with minimal effort than this.

Last edited:
I should be done picking on the spiral ham this week. A bag of split peas with the recipe on the side onions, carrots and whatever else. Winter fare.

I make overnight steel cut oats in mine ! Great for breakfast too! I use a liner when doing that, otherwise cleanup is rough.

Slow cookers work great for some things but it seems that many times they just turn food into mush with no texture. Everything put into the pot seems to taste the same. In my house any meat of value never touches a slow cooker

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Slow cookers work great for some things but it seems that many times they just turn food into mush with no texture. Everything put into the pot seems to taste the same. In my house any meat of value never touches a slow cooker
While a slow cooker is great for tough cuts of meat that respond well to braising (chuck roast, pork shoulder, rump roast, brisket, etc.) the higher value cuts don't need long cooking to develop deep flavor and tenderness.

If the contents turn to mush, either the heat was too high, it was in there too long, or both.

A slow cooker is best used as its name describes...

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

You are doing it wrong.
lol.gif

Pick up a frozen half turkey or turkey Brest depending on how big your crockpot is. Thaw it out place in crock add one packet of dry onion soup mix cover and cook on low for 6 hrs. (Add no water!) Comes out great turkey falls off the bone is tender use the broth on the bottom to put over the turkey.

The McCormic beef stroganoff mix the one you add the sour cream to is great. Follow the directions but I have found adding a cup of red wine improves the taste and makes the meat more tender.

Good stuff!

A little advice about making chili it always seems to taste better or does to me anyway when chili is cooked then cooled in the fridge for several days then re heated. So I have found when I make it in the crockpot I let it cool after cooking then place in fridge over night then I slowly reheat in crock. I then let cool again place in fridge again for several days this time then slowly heat and serve. Seems to improve the taste! .... Good eats!

For my crockpot chicken catchatorie Pick up your fav sauce One large or two med jars put in crockpot. Add several cut up boneless chicken brests. Add whatever you want I add mushrooms, pitted black olives, about one or more cups of red wine and some Italian seasoning. Let cook on low for about 7 hrs then boil your fav pasta and place chicken and sauce over pasta. Taste great but is even better if you let it cool then place in the fridge over night and reheat. It seems to make the sauce taste even better.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
A little advice about making chili it always seems to taste better or does to me anyway when chili is cooked then cooled in the fridge for several days then re heated.

I think that's a law of physics for chilli and cabbage rolls. I used to drive my mom insane when I was a kid, eating as little as possible of those dishes when they were fresh, to make sure there were leftovers, then dig into them the next day.
wink.gif

I make Italian Beef out of pot roast in the crock pot. You have to cut the stringy beef up after cooking to an inch or so then shred. Very tasty though. And I also use a silicon 1" thick rack in the bottom.

s-l500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back