Cringing... Dodge Ram Factory Fill (Lots of miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was in the neighbours brand new Dodge Ram with the 5.7 Litre V8 and I looked over at the gauges and saw he has put 12,000km (7500 miles) on it so far and it is still showing him about 40% oil life on the drivers info display. This is factory fill. If he drives it to the change point that would mean it would tell him to change it somewhere near 20,000km (12K miles)
crazy2.gif

I asked if he was going to change it out early and got a "Why?" Then I explained and he told me I worried too much.

I asked if he at least checked the level and he said no it's a new truck it won't use oil.
33.gif

This is a $50,000 truck that is loaded.

Last edited:
Probably one of those guys that trades every 3-5 years and in that case, what difference does it make.
We looked at Toyotas, because they paid me to and the dealer told me the lifetime oil changes are every 10,000 miles whether it needs it or not.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Another example of why I don't buy used cars or trucks.

Me either!
grin2.gif

As much as you and I cringe about that, odds are it's fine!
Hard to accept taking FF that long but it will still probably go a happy 250,000 miles following the OLM.

Tolerances are much smaller. When I changed the oil in our new Honda mower a couple years ago after 3 hours, it looked like a metallic silver paint! There, with no filter, you can see how it just sheds metal. But a modern automotive engine? No issue, I think (but I'd still change it anyway!!)

Originally Posted By: blupupher
And I would bet if they continue to use the OLM as a guide to change the oil they will have no oil related problems till they get rid of it (in 1 year or 20).

I think they are calibrated to make it last past 5 years (most financing terms) with average mileage and don't care if it lasts for many hundreds of thousands of miles like we all want.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
As much as you and I cringe about that, odds are it's fine!
Hard to accept taking FF that long but it will still probably go a happy 250,000 miles following the OLM.

Tolerances are much smaller. When I changed the oil in our new Honda mower a couple years ago after 3 hours, it looked like a metallic silver paint! There, with no filter, you can see how it just sheds metal. But a modern automotive engine? No issue, I think (but I'd still change it anyway!!)

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
lol.gif

Eh. I agree he should at least check the oil but I don't agree that he needs to dump it necessarily. I never dumped a factory fill early and still got over 100k without problems engine related and then sold the car. I am at almost 50k now on my current car and no issues.

thumbsup2.gif
Especially cars that came off a lease.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: blupupher
And I would bet if they continue to use the OLM as a guide to change the oil they will have no oil related problems till they get rid of it (in 1 year or 20).

I think they are calibrated to make it last past 5 years (most financing terms) with average mileage and don't care if it lasts for many hundreds of thousands of miles like we all want.

Strongly disagree. Automakers know that's not how they get repeat customers. If you had a car that failed catastrophically right after the warranty is up, are you going to buy another one from the same brand, or are you going to swear off that brand forever and buy something else?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

thumbsup2.gif
Especially cars that came off a lease.

The fleet of Dodge Caravans that we had at a previous job were fully loaded from new with lots of weight and maybe saw an oil change every 20,000-30,000km (12K Miles - 18K Miles). They all lived a long life but I wouldn't want to own one after that.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

Strongly disagree. Automakers know that's not how they get repeat customers. If you had a car that failed catastrophically right after the warranty is up, are you going to buy another one from the same brand, or are you going to swear off that brand forever and buy something else?

I don't mean that they will instantly fail right after, what I mean is that they will make sure it makes it past the warranty/finance periods with a margin. But it's doing nothing to extend it's life as far as possible like we all want.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Eh. I agree he should at least check the oil but I don't agree that he needs to dump it necessarily. I never dumped a factory fill early and still got over 100k without problems engine related and then sold the car. I am at almost 50k now on my current car and no issues.

Agree 100%

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I would've drained the FF at a 1000 miles.

Yup!
thumbsup2.gif

Dittos.

Yup!
thumbsup2.gif

That's a waste of perfectly good oil!

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Yup!
thumbsup2.gif

That's a waste of perfectly good oil!

I’ll have 5 quarts of 0w-20 drained around a month from now to add to that waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back