Which automatic transmission fluid to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Im new here, from Chile
I have 2 cars, both with automatic transmission

Mazda 929 Station Wagon 1990 2.0
Dodge Caravan 1995 2.5

Currently I dont know what type of fluid they use and neither since when was the last change.. so now i want to change both

In the manual (mazda) Use ATF Type-F (M2C33F)
Doge, Mopar ATF Plus Type 7176.. manual are old

Currently what are the replacement for both fluids?

Thanks

Mopar ATF 7176 was replaced by Mopar (Chrysler) ATF+3 which was replaced by ATF+4 which is still available.
https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html

I would imagine (but I'm not sure) that your Mazda uses a Ford Type-F.
This brochure for Ford Type F does mention that it's spec'd for certain Mazda vehicles:
https://www.mobil.com/english-us/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/glxxmobil-type-f-atf

Type F fluid is NOT friction modified (like most others) so I think you should stick with it if that's what Mazda recommends.

For the Caravan, you should be able to use any ATF +4 such as

ATF +4

I am surprised they are listing type F for Mazda but I think the MerconV would be better:

Such as

MerconV

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

ATF +4

I am surprised they are listing type F for Mazda but I think the MerconV would be better:

Such as

MerconV

+1.

Mercon pdf

"(except those specifying MERCON(r)SP, MERCON(r)LV or Type F fluids)"
confused.gif

Last edited:
Almost nothing has taken Type F for over 30 years, especially anything with a lockup torque converter. Who knows about cars in Chile, though. Use it if it says to. It won't hurt, anyway.
I use Type F in my truck because it is high friction, and I am trying to make the clutches last. Hard shifts do not bother me. I also disabled the lockup TC.

there is a little problem, here we don't have any "Type F" fluid, at least there nothing like that written in the bottles
I mean, for example, nothing like this
61eSBlSQ-UL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

ATF +4

Such as

MerconV

+1.

+2

Ford used to own a piece of Mazda so a lot of Mazda cars were actually uses Ford parts/components.
IIRC, Ford sold that share recently so the Mazda is now pure Mazda from Japan instead of relabeled Ford.

Originally Posted By: Dymblos
Mercon pdf

"(except those specifying MERCON(r)SP, MERCON(r)LV or Type F fluids)"
confused.gif

MERCON V would work just as well if not better and I bet its easier to find in Chile.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Almost nothing has taken Type F for over 30 years, especially anything with a lockup torque converter. Who knows about cars in Chile, though. Use it if it says to. It won't hurt, anyway.
I use Type F in my truck because it is high friction, and I am trying to make the clutches last. Hard shifts do not bother me. I also disabled the lockup TC.

Friction depends on other factors than just fluid. Torque, pressure, apply piston area, mean friction radius and number of active friction surfaces all will affect the coefficient of friction. Transmissions which recommended Type F usually had other differences such as small friction plates and number of surfaces. End result they shifted about the same as the Type A transmissions. Using Type F in transmission calling for MERCON V will make the u-joint manufactures wealthy.

Originally Posted By: DWC28
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

Friction depends on other factors than just fluid. Torque, pressure, apply piston area, mean friction radius and number of active friction surfaces all will affect the coefficient of friction. Transmissions which recommended Type F usually had other differences such as small friction plates and number of surfaces. End result they shifted about the same as the Type A transmissions. Using Type F in transmission calling for MERCON V will make the u-joint manufactures wealthy.

Indeed. But I'd rather replace $10 U-joints and $50 motor mounts than replace $1000 transmissions - especially in a beater work truck. It ain't no Cadillac.

General consensus seems to be OEM recommended fluids will cause the transmission to last longer. I have no documentation but gut feeling is using Type F where Mercon V is recommended and vice versa is not conducive to long transmission life

In the Chrysler, stick to a Mopar ATF+4 approved fluid. As for the Type-F, some fluid vendors in Chile might have it - it's a less modified Mercon/Dexron fluid. You can try a "racing" ATF like Red Line or Trick Shift but be prepared to pay for it.

Link here http://forums.mazdaworld.org/103-929/59388-free-929-manual.html
suggests link to service manual.
Trans service file there for 92-94 Mazda 929 recommends Dexron II or MIII ATF.

Dodge Caravan 2.5 if auto trans has 3 speed auto. Prefer ATF 4+ as seen above. Have used Dexron III in 3 spd auto 1994 V6 engine van with A670 3 speed auto transmission for a few months without issue. Even lock up torque converter worked correctly. Eventually changed to ATF 4+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back