Are monitors still "better" than TVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife wants me to get a bigger monitor for my computer. Currently 20" with 1600x900 resolution. As we watch videos through Youtube etc, and because, at least to me, the current 4K UHD TVs seem, in the very least, better than what I have, I was considering looking at getting one.

I don't know what resolution and refresh rate my on-board GPU can support, so it may be a moot point. If I list all modes 1600x900 is the highest resolution shown.

Thats because its the highest your monitor supports.

The sweet spot in monitors is 24" with 1080p resolution.

Much bigger and you have to sit back or turn your head side to side.

Might consider a 27-28monitor even

Do you have HDMI, displayport, DVI or VGA?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-s2418h...p;skuId=5770925

IPS screen for good color and viewing angles with "HDR".. and all for $120

AFAIK, the main advantage of a monitor over a TV is input lag. TVs tend to have a lot more. If you do a lot of fast-paced gaming, you might notice a difference. Otherwise, you'll be fine either way.

That lag can be huge in terms of gaming but normal video watching i think you will be hardpressed to notice.

Also another thing to factor in, is your computer's ability to output. Getting a 4k TV as a monitor is great but if your graphics card cant support it, its useless. You mentioned 1600x900, could that be the max your video card can put out?

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle

Also another thing to factor in, is your computer's ability to output. Getting a 4k TV as a monitor is great but if your graphics card cant support it, its useless. You mentioned 1600x900, could that be the max your video card can put out?

most likely its because it is the highest resolution supported by the monitor hardware.

I have not heard of any videocard that would only do 1600x900 max..

Anything within last ~10 years would do 1080p just fine..

Yes.

Pixel Density.
Adjustibility
Refresh Rate choices (Gsync, freesync as well)
Connectibility.

It all depends on what you plan on using it for, but yes. Monitors are better than TVs.

2560x1600 is max for my card. Main uses are video(mpeg, youtube, etc.), reading forums and facebook, and some OLD gaming, like Warzone 2100 and Unreal Tournament gaming.

The other issue I see is that my desk has an 18" height limit, and that seems to be pushing the limit for something above 30".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back