The One Year Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.
About two months until the one year deadline. The thought of draining such an expensive oil with only 2,000 miles on it is a little unnerving. What would you guys do ?

2000 Buick LeSabre
OCI Start: January 30, 2017
Mileage: 129,468
Oil: 5 quarts of Valvoline Synpower 5W-40
Filter: Fram Ultra XG3387A
Current Mileage: 131,378
Mileage on current fill: 1,910

Well that isn't all that costly of an oil, but it does carry various Euro certs and should be fine for more than a single year.
There are a number of multi year low miles UOAs to be found here all of which show that nothing bad happens to oil after a year in the pan.
How do you manage to drive fewer miles in a year than I do in five weeks?

Depends.

I'm sure you've posted your routine in the past, but I don't recall. One year of daily short-trips is not the same as one year of only long weekend trips; throw idle time in there and whatever else you do with your vehicle and it makes guessing pretty impossible.

Let it ride.

Or don't. I've been known to drain the oil and chuck a filter with only a few hundred miles on it because I wasn't the one who put it in there, or I hit the one year mark, or was putting the car away for a few months, or I got bored.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Merk, you can go longer than one year with that kind of mileage driven. I would run it two years.

I agree...unless you are doing all short trips.
If you are doing a > than 10 mile drive once a week....I'd go another 2K at least.

PS: After I posted my response I read the other responses and see that other great minds think alike regarding short trips.

Merk: Why are you running a 40 weight in your Buick?....does it use oil?

I drain and fill my moms car every Christmas with Magnetec. It comes out darn near the same color as it went in. She only put ~1200 miles on it.

For me its a routine. That car can go 10 years but my mom is 76 years old and I don't want any change of her car have any oil issue. Help me sleep for $20 a year. totally worth it.

Do a UOA (close to the cost of just changing the oil again) for peace of mind, run it 18-24 months, then run $17 VML 10w30 in it after that! I maintain 5 Lesabres with 3800's in them - 55K, 135K, 185K, 228K, and 271K, and they all run like a top while the two highest mileage ones are probably the two least cared for. The 3800 doesn't need much in the way of lubrication.

Definitely keep going. I've been doing 2 year intervals with my Corvette because I can't bring myself to drain perfectly good Mobil 1 that has only 4 or 5k on it. My UOAs show this to be a safe practice.

It's a 17 year old Buick being driven 166 miles a month. Do whatever you want with this oil but why not put in the cheapest 10w-40(or 30) you can find and a decent filter and change it every January 1st and worry about other things? You could buy real maple syrup with the money you save for instance....

I think you should push it to 3,000 miles at least.

How's the engine sound with it in there?

Be honest, you won't hurt my feelings
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm

Nick1994 sent me the oil. He got tired of me complaining about the cost of Valvoline 5W-40.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: pbm

Nick1994 sent me the oil. He got tired of me complaining about the cost of Valvoline 5W-40.
grin2.gif

Maybe I can personally deliver you some oil and an oil filter for your next oil change. I have been meaning to come out to Fresno for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back