Dodge Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking into getting either a Charger Hellcat, Mustang GT, or maybe Vette or Camaro. Is Dodge quality that much behind? Not planning on modding or racing it, etc. Right or wrong, GM bailout stuff in 08 kinda makes me rank them last...but I know if there is a better deal GM would be on the table. Appreciate any insights.

Last edited:
Did Chrysler/Dodge take federal money? I never let it bother me cause if it was offered to me I’d have taken it.
Of course we already had a bankruptcy procedure …

Buy what you like. The quality is likely similar all you list, the most important is what you feel best in, looks best to you and you like driving.

Bailouts should have no bearing on your decision and that was 10 years ago.

I know it is ridiculous. If quality and engineering are there, that ultimately won't stop me from a GM. Prior to all that 08 stuff, I had a 1984 Camaro and 2000 Trans Am...was a GM guy in my teens. Just curious if Dodge quality is that much behind the others.

Think it’s a matter of drag racing vs handling … so read up on the testing …

They can all ruin your shorts (boss has a stang snake and he’s scary to ride with) …

Hellkitty pictures I took at my local dealer back in February:

I've owned two Chargers (an '06 R/T and a 2014 SRT-8) and aside from the margarine-container interior on the '06, both cars were excellent. The '14 had very good interior quality, though I will say that my Grand Cherokee is even nicer in that regard.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Buy what you like. The quality is likely similar all you list, the most important is what you feel best in, looks best to you and you like driving.

x2

And V8 Muscle cars is what Dodge does best, they've had years of building this generation. I'd go for one if you like the way it drives. The only reservation I'd have is that the Challenger is heavier than the Mustang and Camaro.

Thanks for the pictures. Leaning towards Hellcat. Appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Thanks for the pictures. Leaning towards Hellcat. Appreciate it.

You are quite welcome. I've never seen one in for warranty work. My SRT had an oil pressure sensor for the VCT fail, covered under warranty, took a few minutes for them to change. That was the only issue I had with that car during the time I owned it. The kitties are very well regarded and seem to be extremely reliable. My dealership has sold a ton of them and I've yet to hear a complaint. Though I'm not sure how you can complain about 707HP on tap with full warranty
21.gif

I'm really impressed with how the interiors have improved since the old Dodge days where Fisher Price or Tupperware seemed to have a hand in the design and implementation. Everything is soft-touch now, the dash in my GC is leather, headliner is suede. They feel quite upscale, particularly for the price.

That Multi Cylinder Displacement that Dodge uses would be a deal breaker for me unless I was so desperate for the truck that I'd be willing to install an MDS delete kit as soon as I got the truck home. GM calls theirs Active Fuel Management but it does the same thing. There's a delete kit available for GM too.

[/quote]

I disagree...'Bailouts' have a bearing on my decision making...however, I bought a new Chevy Cruze in 2011 (after the bailouts) because I had GM Card cash (my hypocrisy knows no bounds). I dumped the Cruze in 2014 for a Ford because of it's coolant leak/odor issues (which soured me even more on GM).
In other words, if all things were equal (which they never are)....I'd buy a Ford over a Chevy because of the 'bailouts' (which screwed the stockholders)....

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That Multi Cylinder Displacement that Dodge uses would be a deal breaker for me unless I was so desperate for the truck that I'd be willing to install an MDS delete kit as soon as I got the truck home. GM calls theirs Active Fuel Management but it does the same thing. There's a delete kit available for GM too.

It has presented zero durability issues on the Dodge engines. There has literally NEVER been a 6.4L in at my dealer with mechanical issues related to the MDS.

However, the OP is looking at the HellKitty, which doesn't have MDS in the first place.

I didn't think the 6.2 hellcat motor had the cylinder deactivation stuff? I did not reseach though. Not a fan of it myself.

If you don't want unnecessary attention, get something like an ss camaro or gt mustang in a standard color.

A close friend of mine has a hellcat and anytime he goes anywhere people want to race him and when he takes it to the strip on test and tune nights no one let's up on trying to race his "620whp" showroom car with their cobbled together albeit faster [censored].

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not the flashy type myself. Have wondered about that. The new mustang with 10 speed also looks interesting.

Dodge Quality? As far as I know they all have had major issues!! Can someone name a model, Dodge, [censored] even the entire Chrysler line that is rock solid with no stupid major issues? What is the "Toyota Camry" of reliability of the Dodge brand?????

"Dodge recalls 1,207 Hellcats for massive oil cooler leaks"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Dodge Quality? As far as I know they all have had major issues!! Can someone name a model, Dodge, [censored] even the entire Chrysler line that is rock solid with no stupid major issues? What is the "Toyota Camry" of reliability of the Dodge brand?????

That's easy: the Dodge Attitude. Granted, it's just a rebadged Hyundai Accent for the Mexican market.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

"Dodge recalls 1,207 Hellcats for massive oil cooler leaks"

Speaking of Toyota, didn't they have a huge recall on oil hoses a few years ago? And that wasn't an engine producing 700+ HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back