Should I extend my OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 99 Fiat Uno with only 43k miles on the engine, the Owner´s manual recommends a 6k miles OCI using a API SH 15w40 oil, but where I live we are used to 3k OCI. I´m currently using a CI4/SL rated 15w40 and I would like to extend my OCI because I think that I´m using a way better oil than the Owner´s Manual recommended, my only concerns are:

- The car is carbureted, I don´t know if that means I should change my oil more often
- Our fuel has high sulphur in it, I think it has something like 600 PPM of sulphur

Should I extend my oil change interval?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
What basis are you using for extending it do you have any UOA?

No, I don´t have UOA data. But the cheapest conventional oil cost 3.4$ a qt, so I would like to stop wasting oil if it can be used for longer safely.

Originally Posted By: Emanuel

No, I don´t have UOA data. But the cheapest conventional oil cost 3.4$ a qt, so I would like to stop wasting oil if it can be used for longer safely.

Well Emanuel is this the car your slid in under your Toyota's fill cap?

Well Emanuel is this the car your slid in under your Toyota's fill cap?

No I still have the Corolla, it is 286k miles now and it´s only burning 1 qt per 1600 miles, I was calculating the oil consumption wrongly

Depends on oil type: Dino or Synthetic

Also Depends on how it's driven: Mostly highway or mostly City (stop & go). Driven on weekends?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Depends on oil type: Dino or Synthetic

Also Depends on how it's driven: Mostly highway or mostly City (stop & go). Driven on weekends?

It´s using conventional oil, and 80% highway, 20% city driving

Please tell us if your Fiat is gasoline or diesel. You say it has a carburetor but, the CI-4 oil is diesel specked oil.

It's gas and he's using HDEO "fleet" oil. Good call
smile.gif

I'd try to get one UOA because we do not know how rich that carb is running ... If there is no fuel dilution, you should go the Fiat recommended interval. You'll be fine.

If there is fuel dilution, you should back down accordingly ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
I don't see why you cannot extend it to at least 5000 Miles per OCI.

I'd agree with this.
It's not as though five or six thousand miles would be all that long on a HDEO.

I have a 99 Fiat Uno with only 43k miles on the engine, the Owner´s manual recommends a 6k miles OCI using a API SH 15w40 oil, but where I live we are used to 3k OCI. I´m currently using a CI4/SL rated 15w40 and I would like to extend my OCI because I think that I´m using a way better oil than the Owner´s Manual recommended, my only concerns are:

- The car is carbureted, I don´t know if that means I should change my oil more often
- Our fuel has high sulphur in it, I think it has something like 600 PPM of sulphur

Should I extend my oil change interval?

Yes,I would think so preferably with free and easy Blotter Spot Test/ pricy UOA.

My carburreted Mitsubishi 4G15 oil used to be replaced at 3000 miles OCI in early 1990's.
I'd used 15W40 CI4 SL HDEO for several years prior , increasing OCI to 6000 miles. Blotter Spot test shows no problem.

With blend 10W40 A3B4 SL on offer price available , I'd since switched from CI4 SL and intend to maintain 6000 miles with Blotter, which I don't foresee any issue.

Btw, my gasoline is Euro II 500 ppm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back