What Viscosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely over thinking this, but I'm good at over thinking!

Wife is expecting so we changed her little 2013 Polo for a 2016 Dacia Duster with a Renault/Nissan 1.5DCi engine. My Wife drives cars quite hard however only does short journeys. She drives around 5-10miles a day on average which doesn't give the engine time to heat up properly or give the emissions equipment time to do what it needs. When the baby is here it will be doing more mileage but still not the right mileage for a diesel. I wouldn't have purchased a diesel however we had settled on the Duster and I couldn't find a petrol example with four wheel drive and I don't see the point in a 2WD 'SUV'.

I try to ensure once every 2-3 weeks I take it for a run up the motorway to ensure the DPF can regen and to get the oil temperature nice and high to burn off any water. I also only use BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power diesel in it. I'm hoping these two measures are enough to keep it clean and running top for the next 4 or 5 years.

The car asks for an ACEA C3 oil in any viscosity. When I picked up the car a few weeks ago I changed the oil and filled it up with Shell Helix Professional 5w30 Dexos2 ACEA C3 and fitted a genuine Renault filter.

Here in the UK, ambient temperatures bottom out about -10°c (14°F) with a maximum of around 30°c (86°F).

Having had lots of UOA done on my previous cars and seeing significant reductions in wear materials running a 40 weight over a 30 weight I'm keen to use a *w40 of which there's many options. I'm most interested in Castrol Edge 5w40 or Mobil1 0w40 ESP. These oils meet ACEA C3, BMW LL04, VW502/505 among others.

I'm sure the above oils will look after the engine perfectly fine for many years to come. However, if I run a 5w30 oil I can have an oil that meets VW504/507 which is a brilliant specification to have. It would probably be either Castrol Edge 5w30 or Mobil1 ESP 5w30.

So, if you were in my situation would you run a *w30 and gain 504/507 or loose 504/507 and run the thicker oil?

Judging by your use, short trips mainly, maybe a thinner oil? But you will probably get some fuel in the oil, so...

Another option, 5W30 C4 oil
grin.gif

(Also you can use Purflux filters, if you can get cheaper than the Purflux made Renault)

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Judging by your use, short trips mainly, maybe a thinner oil? But you will probably get some fuel in the oil, so...

Another option, 5W30 C4 oil
grin.gif

(Also you can use Purflux filters, if you can get cheaper than the Purflux made Renault)

I will definatley look for cheaper filter options. Genuine Renault filter are £15/each! I was looking at some bypass filter options to add some extra capacity to the system. Just replace the bypass filter every 2nd OCI.

I'd prefer not to go for a lower SAPS oil, mid SAPS is bad enough. If it wasn't for the DPF I'd be running an A3/B4 oil!

Last edited:
My choice would be Mobil 1 0w40 ESP, for the marginally better cold start performance? Definitely wait for other advice.

As for filter, Purflux or Renault, both made in France (with the zigzag pleats), unless you go oversize, which shouldn’t be too difficult to do, if you have the place. What is the ref of the filter (LS something ?)?

On the other hand, these engines will run for a long time, even with factory OCI and neglectful owners
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
You need 0W at -10C ???

That's 20-30C off the limits of pumpability for either grade...

Not at all but ACEA C3 oils are only available in 0w and 5w grades. The climate in the UK a 15w would suffice, a 10w is overkill.

If I didn't have a warranty and the car didn't burn oil (not that it does) I'd probably look at a 10w30 or 15w40 mineral or semi synth HDEO with a SAPS of 1% or less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bailes1992
You need 0W at -10C ???

Not at all but ACEA C3 oils are only available in 0w and 5w grades. The climate in the UK a 15w would suffice, a 10w is overkill.

No, I was responding to the 0W40 for "better cold start"

Originally Posted By: Bailes1992

If I didn't have a warranty and the car didn't burn oil (not that it does) I'd probably look at a 10w30 or 15w40 mineral or semi synth HDEO with a SAPS of 1% or less.

I'm hearing you...

I should have explained myself better (rough Sunday morning, as it seems), not better cold start, but more like more smoothness and fuel economy, considering the mostly short trip use. Although 5w vs 0w won’t make much of a difference.

You need 0W at -10C ???

Of course not, come on...

But it doesn’t mean my diesel doesn’t start noticeably smoother at -10º with 5W40 vs 15W40. If I had mostly short trips, I’ll surely pick the thinnest thing, cost factor not considered of course, and probably durability and wear also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Popsy
I should have explained myself better (rough Sunday morning, as it seems), not better cold start, but more like more smoothness and fuel economy, considering the mostly short trip use. Although 5w vs 0w won’t make much of a difference.

Given the two mobil ECT offerings mentioned...check the data sheet...there's going to be zero difference, before you even TRY to measure it.

That’s why I used « marginally », put a quest Mark, and add to wait for other advice. Wasn’t feeling like looking at pdf on this very Sunday morning, guess I should have restrained myself from posting, haha
smile.gif

Castrol Edge 0w30 ACEA C3 appears to be a 'full PAO' synthetic looking at the German label. Can't find any HTHS information though.

All the oils I'm looking at are all around the same price range.

Don't overthink it all. Look at your manual if all else fails.Most of the oils you listed are fine.Don't skimp on good filters.

Just click all the data fields.....Dacia/Duster/2016/1.5dCi 4x4.....

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-2354-lookup-results.aspx?vehicleid=26419&variantlist=99086:0,98561:0,98655:0,170502:0,167700:0,263086:0,198069:0&yearFilter=2016

Last edited:
If still under warranty it would be good to use something with RENAULT RN 0700/0710 approval, just to be on the safe. Valvoline 5w40 MST carry all the latest, relevant specs like LL-04, 229.51, VW 502/505, Dexos2, the aforementioned RN 0710, etc.
We had 1.5 dci Kangoo, sold the bloody thing with 450k km to a friend- car still working. I even used E6 oil in it for couple of OCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back