ExxonMobil unveils three new CK-4/FA-4 engine oils

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://www.fleetowner.com/lubricants/exxonmobil-unveils-three-new-ck-4fa-4-engine-oils

Lubricant maker believes low viscosity FA-4 formulations will begin to “take hold” in the trucking market around 2019 or 2020.

"Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-30 offers up to a 100,000-mile oil drain interval, with the potential to exceed that number, which is 10,000 to 15,000 miles beyond current CJ-4 and CK-4 intervals.

Mobil Delvac 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 5W-30 that offers improved fuel economy of up to 2.6% compared against mineral-based oils.

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40, which is formulated for both on- and off-highway diesel-powered equipment."

I don't know, I'm always weary of these Lab Studies. What about over the road testing of the 100k+ mile intervals for a million miles and engine tear downs? Riiiiiight. Lab simulated 1,000,000 miles of use isn't the same.

Another thing that these 100k mile interval claims aren't taking into account is engine sludge prior to the new oil going in, age of the engine, load weight, emission equipment and most importantly... idle time.

From personal experience, the oil in my Volvo D13 Semi would be black as tar 10 miles after an oil change. It will come out black as tar 25k miles later as well.

After I dumped the EGR and did some cleaning / flushing, oil stays clean for many thousand miles.

My truck has an APU, so I don't run the engine for AC / heat. This saves a ton of engine wear and extends oil life tremendously. I haul light loads and this extends oil life as well. My truck would be a good candidate for extended OCIs.

The same can't be said for a truck running FULL BOOST for 11 hours and then idles for 10 all night long, never being turned off.

It would be nice if they told us which lubes met which specification. I'm gathering the first and last one are CK-4 (obviously, with the 5w-40), with me being unsure of the first's placement in regards to the current E6 offering. The second I would gather is an FA-4.

A good marketing blurb would show that there's at least one 5w-30 that's fully backwards compatible and one new one for the new FA-4 specification.

Originally Posted By: Garak

A good marketing blurb would show that there's at least one 5w-30 that's fully backwards compatible and one new one for the new FA-4 specification.

All you have to do is read the label and look at the cap color...just like the 2 different Rotella T-6 5w40's. The Mobil website press release is pretty clear what's what.

I'm well aware of that. I know which oil is which and know what the specs mean and can check the Delvac site. That is, after all, what we do here on BITOG. The general public, however, isn't getting a lot of useful information from the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back