Screw heads groove, Vertical or Horizontal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently at a new job I noticed the screw heads on all the slotted screws are aligned vertically.
Is there some logic or "flow" to this?

I also noticed this on many screw heads around my apt.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Keeping slots symmetrical just looks better. My slotted are always "I" and phillips are "+".

Show cars have all their slots facing the same way.
Maybe a vertical slot stays cleaner, lets debris and fluids fall through. Just a theory on slots. I think Dr. Phil has some too.

An "old school" retired German electrician that wired our house when it was being built. He liked the symmetry of vertically facing screws. More of a pride of work thing. I'll always remember, he would be there with suit and tie on to greet the building inspector to show his work and get sign off.

Then over time they end up any which way. What about proper tightness? I would think unless 'indexed' they may not want to align naturally.

As much as I enjoy lined up screw slots, I think proper torque on the fastener is more important. I will admit to overtightening screws for this reason, and breaking things. Imagine symmetry of torque, instead.

Years ago an old guy told me the phone company insisted on matched screw slot alignment. The geezer said I'd even find door hinge screws matching.

Since then I've been in several "phone company" buildings (friend's sister worked for the phone company) and nowhere was ANY run of matched screw slots to be seen.

Just another old geezer spouting, "We were good back then" gas.

Do fasteners to torque or feel. This could be the ONE TIME the overused word "anal" can be applied.

Switch and outlet covers could be one place where function follows form without much fear of over or under tightening. Most won't notice but some will and appreciate it. I'm one of the ones who notices.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Switch and outlet covers could be one place where function follows form without much fear of over or under tightening. Most won't notice but some will and appreciate it. I'm one of the ones who notices.

Yeah, but what are the torque specs on those? And do you use a thread locking compound as a substitute for proper torque when aligning screw slots?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Yeah, but what are the torque specs on those? And do you use a thread locking compound as a substitute for proper torque when aligning screw slots?
grin.gif

Valid concerns but I'm willing to risk it in this instance! A dab of red might be a good idea though!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back