Frankenbrew oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used mixed quarts of what i had around to change the oil on my f150 it's quiet the blend
2 qt pennzoil 10w30 SN, 2 qt of motorcraft diesel 10w30 CJ4, and 1 quart of supertech 10w30 SM used a supertech st8 filter.
So far it still runs since changing it this morning and i got rid of odd ball quarts running quiet as it usually does.

Since it all 10W30, you're not going to break anything! maybe pick a standard or shorter OCI
on the other hand since it's a '94 you likely got piles of miles on it, so go standard OCI.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

Since it all 10W30, you're not going to break anything! maybe pick a standard or shorter OCI
on the other hand since it's a '94 you likely got piles of miles on it, so go standard OCI.

181,000 miles

Oil brew sound be fine.

That oil filter =
37.gif

That looks like a fine brew to me, the CJ-4 HDEO should add a bit of extra zinc and dispersants / detergents to the mix.

That reminds me, I have about 8 quarts of 5W-25 Valvoline Synpower (because I was mixing 20 and 30 for some reason). I am not sure if I should use it in my new Fiesta which calls for 5W-20, or use it in the beater truck which probably won't have enough oil pressure. Or I can use it in the lawnmower, over the next 8 years ...

I don't know about putting a 0W-20ish oil in a lawn mower. I'm assuming an air cooled engine.

They ask for straight 30, no? When the Briggs turned 35 I went to straight 40.

Just sayin'.

Ha-Ha, what about, "Without pictures, it didn't happen". Do I even own a lawn mower??????

Originally Posted By: ron17571
Use it in the beater truck.

Maybe I can use it as the top off oil, since it uses about a quart every 1000 miles. Yeah, that's what I'll do.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
That reminds me, I have about 8 quarts of 5W-25 Valvoline Synpower (because I was mixing 20 and 30 for some reason). I am not sure if I should use it in my new Fiesta which calls for 5W-20, or use it in the beater truck which probably won't have enough oil pressure. Or I can use it in the lawnmower, over the next 8 years ...

Add a bottle of lucas to it and use it in your truck.

Originally Posted By: jakewells

Add a bottle of lucas to it and use it in your truck.

I don't know it I want that goop in my engine. I don't know what it really does.

My S10 liked it and it didn't rattle on start up using lucas but i figured out early on if i bought a heavier weight to begin with i wouldn't need lucas.

I don't know it I want that goop in my engine. I don't know what it really does.

Sure, you do, it doesn't do much of anything other than thicken everything up.
wink.gif

Since my old f150 does use some oil i plan to spike the oil with a bottle of schaeffer #132 when it needs a top off.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Sure, you do, it doesn't do much of anything other than thicken everything up.
wink.gif

That's what 20W-50 is for. There is enough crud down in that old engine. The last thing it needs is a bottle of gorilla glue. I already put AT-205 in it, so it doesn't leak or leave a smoke screen anymore.

I run frankenbrew in my 09 5.3 silverado every change. I always have some T5 10w30 for small engines and a buddy gave me 4 gallons of 0w30 amsoil so the Chevy gets 4 quarts of rotella and 2 quarts of amsoil to thin it down a little. Last 4 changes have been this brew. Doesn't use a drop in 5k miles. Napa gold or k&n filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back