Can anyone help advise me about first oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my 2002 Infiniti I35 last August for a good price. When i first bought it I didn't really drive it and even now I'm not a lover of driving so I probably put on about 2000 miles since I got the car. It has come to my attention that despite me not reaching the mileage limit, I should really change oil since it's a year and some months old.

I looked into changing it myself and at the moment but I just don't feel comfortable doing that right now (I only have the jack the car came with; I wanna buy some RhinoRamps in the future). Since I told myself I'd just go to a place to do it I started looking up stores nearby and calling them to get some figures. It turns out while there are $10 options nearby, I wouldn't trust it. I kept looking until I found a place known as Fleet Tire that has really good google and yelp reviews. Best of all, they have a coupon for 27.50 that includes tire rotation and a 24 point inspection (which I'm not sure what that is). Their full coupon reads:

"Coupon Valid December 01, 2017 thru December 31, 2017
$27.50 Oil Change and 4 Tire Rotate w/24 point vehicle inspection
-Includes Kendall 5 qrts Synthetic Blend 5w20 and 5w30 motor oil
-Premium Oil Filter Canister
-4 Tire Rotation
-24 point Vehicle Inspection

Bottled Oil, Full Synthetic, Cartridge Filter may be extra"

I'm a very nervous person by nature and I just have knots in my stomach thinking i'm doing something wrong. Do you guys think that coupon is a good deal? Does anyone know anything about the Kendall brand of Oil (I heard those $10 oil places uses really cheap bad oil)? Do you think I should talk to them about that "bottled oil" portion of the coupon? What is tire rotation and 24 point inspection?

I have a sticker on my windshield that reads 10w40. Should I not put the 5w30?

Any and all advice and help will be greatly appreciated.

Kendall is fine.
The 24 point inspection is to bilk you out of more money. Like, oh sir, you need front brake pads, a caliper and new struts. We can get it done by 5 PM today for $750.00

Yeah, more like $1750!
And that's without even touching the rears.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
For about $45-60 you should be able to get it done at a nearby Infiniti or Nissan dealer. If they are too high, I'd look up a NAPA certified shop. Finding a good independent auto repair shop is as tough as finding a good doctor. Also if you don't have an owners manual. you may be able to find one on eBay. Infiniti USA's web site does not go back to 2002..

FYI I had a 1996 I30 that my wife drove and liked a lot.

Kendall is good oil. Use the viscosity your owner’s manual recommends, which is likely 5W-30. If they try to up sell you, don’t fall for it. Get a second opinion from a reputable mechanic (not some quick lube place) on anything involving substantial cost.

I agree to find a recommended independent mechanic to check out the vehicle and do the oil change with the recommended viscosity & type. Ed

Aside from the sticker ~ do you have an owners manual or even the fill cap for the grade of oil?

Keep in mind too a lot of these places are like sharks smelling blood in the water. If you give them the impression you don’t know anything about cars they see $$$$. You're doing the right thing by educating yourself.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
For about $45-60 you should be able to get it done at a nearby Infiniti or Nissan dealer. If they are too high, I'd look up a NAPA certified shop. Finding a good independent auto repair shop is as tough as finding a good doctor. Also if you don't have an owners manual. you may be able to find one on eBay. Infiniti USA's web site does not go back to 2002..

On second thought, if you only drive 2,000 miles a year it would be a decent option to go to your local Infiniti dealer for a basic conventional oil change (5w-30 and an OEM Nissan filter). It won't break the bank, and you only need a tire rotation every 5-6K miles (2-3 years). Just be leery if they try to upsell you on anything. You should have a few Infiniti dealers in Broward County and your local area.

If you don't have an owners manual, here's one on eBay for $24.99:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-INFINITY-I35-OWNERS-MANUAL-PLUS-HOLDER/162670151790?fits=Year%3A2002%7CMake%3AInfiniti%7CModel%3AI35%7CSubmodel%3ABase%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A3.5L%7CTrim%3ABase+Sedan+4-Door%7CEngine%3A3.5L+3498CC+V6+GAS+DOHC+Naturally+Aspirated&hash=item25dfe5886e:g:nCwAAOSwmFpZts8u&vxp=mtr

find some bricks and jack up the car and use the bricks as your jack stands.

just take your time, it's literally impossible to mess up an oil change (other than, ya know, literal mess you might make). The gratification you'll get afterwards will outweigh any nervousness you might have now

I'll call up a walmart with an auto center and ask them, thanks!

The local ones i go to doesn't have it but theres one a little south of me that has an auto center.

On second thought, if you only drive 2,000 miles a year it would be a decent option to go to your local Infiniti dealer for a basic conventional oil change (5w-30 and an OEM Nissan filter). It won't break the bank, and you only need a tire rotation every 5-6K miles (2-3 years). Just be leery if they try to upsell you on anything. You should have a few Infiniti dealers in Broward County and your local area.

Thank you! It being sunday the ones i got from google aren't open yet but i'd totally give them a call. In your opinion would a conventional oil change at the dealer for around 30 bucks (gestimation) be better than the blend at the fleet tire place?

+2 on the walmart, they have a policy of not upselling or even mentioning needed or unneeded repairs.

Their loss leader is that they trap you in their store for 45 minutes, potentially buying more stuff.

You can straddle a ditch if you want to change your own oil without ramps.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Wallet flush. They may ocasionally find something that needs to be fixed. They tend to recommend things due to age and milage vs wear.

If i follow through with them i'll report back here or to an appropriate forum before giving them the work

Originally Posted By: eljefino
+2 on the walmart, they have a policy of not upselling or even mentioning needed or unneeded repairs.

Their loss leader is that they trap you in their store for 45 minutes, potentially buying more stuff.

You can straddle a ditch if you want to change your own oil without ramps.

I'm gonna give them a call now and get a feel of them and report back if i got questions.

I assume by straddle a ditch you mean something like driving up a curb? I'm probably not gonna risk my life for $40 lol

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Aside from the sticker ~ do you have an owners manual or even the fill cap for the grade of oil?

the manual states

"SAE 5W-30 viscosity oil is preferred for
all ambient temperatures. SAE 10W-30,
10W-40 viscosity oil may be used if the
ambient temperature is above 0°F"

I presume SFL is safe to use for the 5-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back