My wife bought a new Nissan Rogue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nissan Rogue to be exact. She had been driving a 2010 Nissan Sentra that we bought used (about which more later), which convinced both of us that Nissans are nice, and CVT's are too. The Sentra was probably what you would call a "transportation appliance", which is just exactly what she needs and likes. Turn it on, go to your destination, turn it off. No drama.

About the Rogue: She got the SV, because it has the features she wants, without the "luxury" overhead of the SL. It has 170 hp, power seats, backup camera, blind spot warning, power mirrors, power seats, nice GPS screen, good phone integration, self-opening back door, and so on. She did the shopping, price comparisons, etc., and was able to find a 2017 at a good price at a dealer with the features she wanted.

This is her car, the car she will drive to work every day, and do the things that she wants to do with a car. I don't mind driving older vehicles, since I can work on them and so on, but I sleep better, and get less phone calls from the DW in distress if she has something dead reliable. Win/win in my book.

I have driven it a fair amount (it now has a little over 1000 miles on it), and it's nice. It has the fake shift points that CVT's seem to have now, but otherwise, it is pretty smooth. We bought the 2010 Sentra with a little over 50,000 miles on it, and it has been great, with the exception of the dealer-installed alarm, which is junk. She put about 75,000 miles on it.

Regarding dealerships: the Nissan dealership she got this one from has been great. There were a couple of minor issues, such as the rear license plate mount (which is installed from the inside of the door) being broken, and they've taken care of them with no difficulties. I read the service schedule, and there's almost nothing on it except oil changes every 5,000 miles with 0w-20, until you get to 105,000 miles or so, when spark plugs are recommended. When she bought the car, I wasn't with her, and they didn't jerk her around with calling in the sales manager and stuff like that. They agreed on a price, and that was it. The DW had done her homework, knew what she wanted and what she wanted to pay.

On the other hand, the Ford dealership that we bought the Sentra from is a pack of lying snakes, and I'll be glad to tell that to anyone who will listen. We asked for a Carfax, and they gave us some sort of Ford car history thing that they said was pretty much the same. We should have just left then, but, live and learn I guess. They swore up and down that the car hadn't been in an accident, which was untrue, and pointed out when she traded it in on the Rogue. They sold us a junk alarm, which they said would be needed to satisfy the finance company; I don't know if that was true or false, but it didn't matter since the stupid thing quit working after a year or two. They did a few other slimy things as well, and I'd never go there again for any reason.

Nonetheless, the Sentra itself did what it was supposed to do for the 5+ years we had it. Again, it was basically her car, and I generally drove other things. Whenever I drove it, though, it did what it should do.

I like this Rogue, and I really like the fact that it seems to be everything she wants in a car. I expect long years of trouble-free service from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like both are winners. Those Rogues are pretty good vehicles. I see tons of them around here. Nissan gets a bad rap from a few on here but they do produce a fine automobile. With a great dealer as you have described you should get years of service from that Rogue.

I hate aftermarket alarm systems; especially those shock sensor alarms that go off when a Harley-Davidson drives by. Your best security is a factory stock empty car.

My F-I-L, a lifelong die hard Ford man, purchased a Nissan Rogue. He and the M-I-L owned a 1996 Mercury Villager. They purchased the Villager when it was about a year old and 30k miles. Of course, the Villager is a rebadged Nissan. My daughter now drives the Villager and it has 240k miles. That fact convinced my F-I-L to purchase the Rogue.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
They sold us a junk alarm, which they said would be needed to satisfy the finance company; I don't know if that was true or false, but it didn't matter since the stupid thing quit working after a year or two.

Wow, that's shady! I've heard the same thing for credit life insurance, GAP insurance, etc. I know the F&I guys sneak that in at the right time when the shopper's haggard but if I were in that seat I'd "trust but verify" and call the bank or bring my own financing or something.

Originally Posted By: ron17571
So did you have any input on this buy? The Rogue is a good vehicle by the way.

Yes. I went and looked at Rogues with her, and we had a number of discussions about it. However, when she found the one she wanted, I wasn’t with her. She called, and we talked, and I told her that if it was the one she wanted, and if she felt that the price, payments, etc., were right, she should pull the trigger. She called the credit union, and they offered her a 2.2% loan. Then the dealer said they could do 0.0. Guess which one she took.

BTW, we’ve been married 35 years, and i trust her judgement (mostly
wink.gif
).

Originally Posted By: ron17571
So did you have any input on this buy? The Rogue is a good vehicle by the way.

Yes. I went and looked at Rogues with her, and we had a number of discussions about it. However, when she found the one she wanted, I wasn’t with her. She called, and we talked, and I told her that if it was the one she wanted, and if she felt that the price, payments, etc., were right, she should pull the trigger. She called the credit union, and they offered her a 2.2% loan. Then the dealer said they could do 0.0. Guess which one she took.

BTW, we’ve been married 35 years, and i trust her judgement (mostly
wink.gif
).

If it's her car, it's her choice!

Dare I ask how much you guys paid? Perhaps the msrp, sticker and price. I have been thinking of this exact vehicle with AWD...

Originally Posted By: otis24
My F-I-L, a lifelong die hard Ford man, purchased a Nissan Rogue. He and the M-I-L owned a 1996 Mercury Villager. They purchased the Villager when it was about a year old and 30k miles. Of course, the Villager is a rebadged Nissan. My daughter now drives the Villager and it has 240k miles. That fact convinced my F-I-L to purchase the Rogue.

It's funny how many Ford people loved the Villager, and hated the Windstar

I still have my '01 Estate

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They sold us a junk alarm, which they said would be needed to satisfy the finance company; I don't know if that was true or false, but it didn't matter since the stupid thing quit working after a year or two.

Wow, that's shady! I've heard the same thing for credit life insurance, GAP insurance, etc. I know the F&I guys sneak that in at the right time when the shopper's haggard but if I were in that seat I'd "trust but verify" and call the bank or bring my own financing or something.

There is no trust if you have to verify.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Sounds like Sentra was a reliable car, so will the Rouge.

The more basic a vehicle is, the less problems encountered.

Congrats to OP!

I disagree that the more basic less problems encountered. I have had less trouble with a 2007 Acura MDX Technology (nav, bluetooth, voice commands, 200+ buttons) with 180k vs a miserable econo(s**t) box 06 Civic over the same ownership period.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Sounds like Sentra was a reliable car, so will the Rouge.

The more basic a vehicle is, the less problems encountered.

Congrats to OP!

I disagree that the more basic less problems encountered. I have had less trouble with a 2007 Acura MDX Technology (nav, bluetooth, voice commands, 200+ buttons) with 180k vs a miserable econo(s**t) box 06 Civic over the same ownership period.

The first year of any new model car will have lots of problems and 2006 Civic was a terrible car.

I recently traded my Altima for a 2018 Nissan Rogue. I got the SV with the premium package which has all kinds of technology stuff. What I really like about it is that it has all the latest safety technology plus heated seats and steering wheel. All that with cloth seats, I dislike leather seats. And I did not have to pay for a moon roof to get all the technology.
The dealer that I dealt with was ok except for one blip. I had the print out from their web site showing their advertised price which was $4600 off of MSRP which is good for a 2018 model. When they brought out the printed offer, it had about $2K of dealer add on's and they some how dropped $500 off the discount. I just took my pen and drew a line through all of that dealer add on's and showed them the print out with their advertised discount. They came back 5 minutes later with all of that dealer stuff gone and the full discount restored.
I have about 800 miles on the Rogue and I really enjoy driving it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back