how awesome is it that this forum exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

izz

as of year or so ago I started geeking out over motor oil and bringing up the subject to even most mechanically inclined people I know in real life the subject doesn't ever get past the "yeah I just get whatever cheapest synthetic is available" and mostly just stays at "yeah I just get the cheapest available they're all the same".

But on the internet there's a whole community as weird as I am and some even weirder, love it.

welcome2.gif

All API certified oils will keep that engine running good for many years. Brand choice is your personal choice and we all have our favorites.

Great info, great people...even when I get beat up in the oil additve section.
smirk.gif

Most of our vehicles run and run, w/o much real intervention on our part. Services and fluids are some of the places where we actually get to interact with them. So we focus there.

Me, I get to interact at other levels ... Such is the life of a "Keep it on the road as long as possible, personal recycler". But, to play this game, you must have spares
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
I don't think you people are real. The people I meet in real life seem to know just about zero actual facts about motor oils.
Some don't even check it
grin2.gif

Yes indeedy, this forum is an asylum, filled with nut cases. From ammo to zerk fittings, we eventually cover it all. I love hanging out here, my #1 place for killing time. Lots of knowledgeable people here.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yeah we're all weirdos here
crackmeup2.gif

Speak for yourself....
wink.gif

Ah, never mind....
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: izz
as of year or so ago I started geeking out over motor oil and bringing up the subject to even most mechanically inclined people I know in real life the subject doesn't ever get past the "yeah I just get whatever cheapest synthetic is available" and mostly just stays at "yeah I just get the cheapest available they're all the same".

But on the internet there's a whole community as weird as I am and some even weirder, love it.

Even after working with a bunch of nerds for 12+ years.......people will still say............wait, you are Pablo on BITOG. (I'll try to deny it
lol.gif
lol.gif
)

I have come full circle in the 15 years I have been on this board.

1. Cheap oil works as well as expensive oil
2. The only advantage of syn oil is you can run with longer oil changes in a mechanically sound engine. Which almost no one does.
3. Basically oil is oil

I grew up with a car nut dad and uncles. My nephews don't even know how to check their oil.I guess that is good for mechanics and car dealers.

How awesome?
The most.
Whether needing an answer to a problem or just enjoying the banter, I have enjoyed this site beyond expectation.
On rare occasions, there are get togethers of many of the names.
People travelled from Australia, New England, the South, and other areas for a Chicago gtg a few years back.
The people were just like this site. Informed, interesting, wholesome, and fun.
It's a great life!

Originally Posted By: Al

2. The only advantage of syn oil is you can run with longer oil changes in a mechanically sound engine. Which almost no one does.
3. Basically oil is oil

AMEN sir Al!

Originally Posted By: Al

3. Basically oil is oil

but what if i'm in Arctic pole and need to cold start then drive it to Africa with supercharger wouldn't dino oil not start up and how will it withstand the heat in africa?? I really need 0w60 100% synthetics made only from esters also want to install another filter bypass along with magnefine magnetic prefilter while you're at it magnafine all around on transmission and power steering ok thank you.

For a while, this board was slowly appearing in more and more results for things I was looking up, and after a while, it became the one I would hope for and look for when starting to look into a topic. Now here I am, making my first post on the forum.

Originally Posted By: CarsSimplified
For a while, this board was slowly appearing in more and more results for things I was looking up, and after a while, it became the one I would hope for and look for when starting to look into a topic. Now here I am, making my first post on the forum.

Welcome to the asylum. However, CarsSimplified Bitog member is an oxymoron. Generally, some level of OCD is a membership requirement here. I.E., I have OCPD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back