Today's oil change saga...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided today to do an oil change on my XJ, it was about due and I wanted to get some 5w30 in it before it gets single digit cold here. Went to Walmart to get Pennzoil HM 5w30. Nothing on the shelf. Ok, Quaker State has to be good too. Nothing on the shelf. Maxlife? Take a guess. Castrol HM? Take a guess. I couldn't even get single quart bottles. It was like trying to buy bread in the USSR or something. Move on to Autozone, figured they have to have something high mileage 5W30 and maybe on sale. Got 6 quart STP High mileage 5W30 and whatever the top of the line STP filter is. Got home, was looking over the filter and saw in small print "Made in China", said nothing on the box. Not running a Chinese filter on anything. Went back to Autozone and they swapped it out for a Mopar filter for me, it was 7 cents more but they just gave it to me. No idea who makes the Mopar filter but I'll cut it open at the end of the OCI. Kudos to Autozone!

I hate to break it to you but Mopar filters are Purolators...

I’ve got a Fram Ultra in mine, I’ll leave it on for 2 or 3 OCIs, i change the oil every 3k or so because I bought 2 cases of Napa Conventional for $1 per quart.

You thin oil guys are funny. I started the Borman6 at -17F with 10w40 in the engine. I idled it for several minutes before driving away. I used to use 10w40 as my winter fill on the BMWs. The last few yrs, I just added a pint of MMO to the 20w50
grin2.gif

I would've left Walmart with some kind of 5W-30 and a Fram XG filter. The filter is more important than whether I have high mileage oil or not.

Originally Posted By: andyd
You thin oil guys are funny. I started the Borman6 at -17F with 10w40 in the engine. I idled it for several minutes before driving away. I used to use 10w40 as my winter fill on the BMWs. The last few yrs, I just added a pint of MMO to the 20w50
grin2.gif

And your point is...?

I bet 1,000 cold starts with 10w40 = more wear and tear on the engine vs 1,000 cold starts with 0w40.

Darn, hm might have to swap the Mopar one out. Or leave it? Only going to run it 3k anyway. Oil pressure seems more stable with it anyway but that could be the 5w30.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: andyd
grin2.gif

And your point is...?

I bet 1,000 cold starts with 10w40 = more wear and tear on the engine vs 1,000 cold starts with 0w40.

He is fishing for responses.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Darn, hm might have to swap the Mopar one out. Or leave it? Only going to run it 3k anyway. Oil pressure seems more stable with it anyway but that could be the 5w30.

Run it 3k and if we hear any wailing and gnashing of teeth then we will know what happened along with the usual shark meat thread.

I just did an oil change for the neighbor's sister yesterday. Needed 6 quarts of synthetic and a filter. I got the jug of Pennzoil 5W30 HM for a little over $22.00, and an extra quart which was $6.49 at Walmart.

I found the Fram XG8765 filter on sale on line for $8.56 compared to the in store price of $14.47. Ordered it on line and picked it up when I picked up the oil. I filled out the Pennzoil rebate for her so she will be getting a check for $12.00.

Not sure if her car will make it through the winter, otherwise I would have picked up another jug of the oil. I only had 2.5 quarts drain out from the engine instead of 6! It's a 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 with 135000 miles showing.

Will teach her how to check the oil when she comes back Monday for me to install an air cleaner. Had to order that from Amazon for the best price.

The Mopar filter's internals are pretty dang close if not identical to the problematic FL-820s.

I personally would not run it.

I haven't seen torn Mopar filter pics posted here. There have been some "end cap poppers" and while substandard, the consensus was this did not affect functionality during use. Only when cut apart and retaining spring pressure was relieved was this noticeable.

I've run numerous MO-899 filters with no loss of functionality in 5K to 6K mile O/FCI's.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Went to Walmart to get Pennzoil HM 5w30. Nothing on the shelf. Ok, Quaker State has to be good too. Nothing on the shelf. Maxlife? Take a guess. Castrol HM? Take a guess. I couldn't even get single quart bottles. It was like trying to buy bread in the USSR or something.

OK I gotta ask, so what DID your WM have? Any Mobil HM? I have traveled to most corners of the USA and many places in between, and inevitably visit the WM's. I have never seen one without some, if not several name brand oils readily available. Not doubting you, just very curious!

I had to make a 300 mile road trip yesterday and stopped at a few Dollar General stores during the day. Their Peak conventional motor oil was BOGO (sale ended yesterday, I think) and rang up at under $2/quart. Some stores had slim pickings, but I managed to get a couple dozen quarts from about three stores, including some Peak high mileage oil. I have two '96 4.0 Cherokees and a '98 4.0 Grand Cherokee, so that's where it will eventually be used.
I agree with the "this is why we stash" comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back