Every night at 18:40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics or it didn't happen
laugh.gif

Merk, my cousins lived in Clovis growing up. Lots of good memories. Have a great night.

That's so awesome. Occasionally there will be Harriers or Hornets at SBA and everyone knows when they take off. Years ago one of my teachers was dating a Marine F/A-18 pilot and he would land the plane at SBA to visit her when he could. A few times he would do a fly-by down State St in Santa Barbara breaking almost every rule known to man because he knew she was there shopping.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Since they changed from F-16s to F-15s you get two for the price of one on freedom noise.

They're actually quieter than the F-16s believe it or not. The noisiest jets are the F-18s that fly over from Lemoore. I never did find out why they fly over here but they are extremely loud.

Yeah, back when the EA-6B 'Prowler' was flying, one got to hear some noise. It's parked now, but it had a larger growl than the current F-18.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
I used to watch the Missouri Air National Guard F4 Phantoms take off from Lambert Field in St Louis back in the 80s...awesome sight.

Not too far from where they were built.

I would of loved to see those Phantoms launch.

I seem to recall that they lined up 3 or 4 abreast and then took off, one after the other. There used to be a little observation area/parking lot at the western end of the runways, along Lindbergh Blvd, that was terrific for "bird watching". They have since expanded the runways and Lindbergh Blvd is now a tunnel.

94th Aero Squadron restaurant at the eastern end of the airport used to have good views too...

They’ve got a 19:00 range time - or training time in a nearby MOA with an external unit (tanker, adversary, etc.)

I wonder if they are training just in case North Korea wants to play.

My parents live 30 minutes south of Travis and the only things I've seen fly into there on approach were transporters. It's kinda cool and creepy seeing a gray military plane only a few thousand feet over your head.

Originally Posted By: nthach

My parents live 30 minutes south of Travis and the only things I've seen fly into there on approach were transporters. It's kinda cool and creepy seeing a gray military plane only a few thousand feet over your head.

Probably just training to train. I think the government fiscal year started a month or so ago so they have money to play with before they lose it.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: nthach

Probably just training to train. I think the government fiscal year started a month or so ago so they have money to play with before they lose it.

Actually, we're under a CR - so they have about 80% of their expected training $$ available...CR genuinely sucks if you're trying to plan and train...you can't do everything that you need to do because the funds aren't fully released...

But units getting ready to deploy have priority on those restricted $$, and they have training requirements to meet.

So, they fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back