My Mobil 1 AP Experiment . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

All right, gentlemen. I bit the bullet and plunked down $40 at WM for a jug of Mobil 1 AP for my 2013 Tacoma 4.0L V6. It's time for this experiment. I've run Castrol Edge EP for the last 11 months (13,000 miles) and will send a sample off to Blackstone Labs for analysis when I drain it very soon. Will post results to see if the Toyota V6 accepts longer OCI very well.

Anyone else running the Mobil 1 AP now?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Going for a 20K OCI?

Exactly! Man up and run this elixir 20k then UOA and share results.

I like what 2015_PSD is doing with his M1 AFE
smile.gif

I'm mostly wanting an oil that will safely go one year for this truck. We drive about 13,000 per year in this vehicle. I've been a Castrol Edge user for a long time, and in truth the Castrol Edge EP would probably be sufficent for my plans. But I just can't resist spending more money!
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
UOA's show AFE can comfrtably do 12-13k miles. And EP 15k miles. Go past that with AP.

What if you only reach 10K at the end of the year; then what?

OMG! That’s almost 4 cents a day that you could of … Uh, I’m drawing a blank …
Have a good annual run … that once a year suits me regardless … maybe I could miss August in Texas …

yearly changes are usually recommended, but with xtra filter changes a real synthetic like RedLine would be good for longer changes in a mechanically sound engine, + RedLine is said to do well with fuel dilution more common in DI engines. $8 a qt is cheaper than real synthetics + wondering what mobil puts in it since they MAKE PAO + ester oils besides the other refined CRUDE "synthetics"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjy
yearly changes are usually recommended, but with xtra filter changes a real synthetic like RedLine would be good for longer changes in a mechanically sound engine, + RedLine is said to do well with fuel dilution more common in DI engines. $8 a qt is cheaper than real synthetics + wondering what mobil puts in it since they MAKE PAO + ester oils besides the other refined CRUDE "synthetics"

Interesting. It has been discussed that ConocoPhillips has been changing the formulation of Redline so a statement like this should have some reference.

I would at least do a UOA at 15K to make sure the TBN hasn't dropped too far. Especially because you have no baseline for this oil in this engine given your driving pattern.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What if you only reach 10K at the end of the year; then what?

Pretty sure XOM banks on this. By most, it'll be used as a yearly oil as opposed to a 20k (or whatever) oil.

Considering the price, I think the stuff is a scam. I have more faith in their 0w40.

Back in the day when I had the 4Runner with 3VZE, rang the mobil tech line asking how long I could run it.

When they finally worked out that I was serious, the vehicle was NOT under warranty, and I knew my way around, they said finally ANNUAL. M1 back in the day was advertised as having 40,000km protection, and they drove a car back and forth across the country to prove it.

If you drive 5,000km annual...if you drive 35,000km annual...the beaviours that you adopt in driving those distances in those times mean that the former is necessary, and the latter is possible.

To pull a stunt and make an "annual" oil is pretty disingenuous (but what marketting isn't), when their normal product line ca probably do it.

My OLM on the Colorado, in my 20 mile each way country commute looks like it will time out at 16-18,000km, and about a year...

When it was a dealer demo, and used 68% of the oil life in 4,300km, it would have come in at about a year as well in that driving...When it changed from my routine, rather than that last 32% lasting another 2,000km, it lasted 6,000km...and came in at annual as well.

Holden allow you to run to 0, regardless of miles (over the 15,000 service interval is fine), provided you don't go over a year.

So what's so special about a year ?

When I had a bit of a motorcycle collection, I would change the oil every 10,000 KM (6k miles) regardless of time. But I kept well on top of everything else, so the bikes were in tip top condition.

I used a A3/B4 full synthetic, and some of my sports bikes went two years to do that 10,000 KM. Mostly up in the mountains covering some real distance when I rode them, not stop start commuting.

Anyway, two years later it would drain out a dark honey colour, but still looked good. Never felt I was doing anything wrong and still don't. To me it's the miles that do the wear and the type of miles makes a difference.

Last edited:
SR5,
Honestly, I think the difference between a "semi museum" and a day to day driver is that the 3-4,000km that you may put on them in a year are decent rides...my wife driving less than a km to work in the Caprice was the very worst use I could imagine.

When the Navara was seeing little use, 18 months was what happened a couple of times to rack up the 10,000km.

"semi museum" I like that and probably a good description. "Active museum" may be even better.

But yes, I got the oil well hot when I rode them, multiple tanks of fuel in a single day and constant high RPM.

Originally Posted By: CrackyWainwright
All right, gentlemen. I bit the bullet and plunked down $40 at WM for a jug of Mobil 1 AP for my 2013 Tacoma 4.0L V6. It's time for this experiment. I've run Castrol Edge EP for the last 11 months (13,000 miles) and will send a sample off to Blackstone Labs for analysis when I drain it very soon. Will post results to see if the Toyota V6 accepts longer OCI very well.

Anyone else running the Mobil 1 AP now?

I've successfully run ST dino oil and a MC filter to 15k miles, with completely normal wear rates, no sludge present, and "severe" service factors, all for $12. Your plan really isn't setting any new standard or raising the bar. Get back to me when you take your OFCI out to 45k miles; then I might be impressed.

SR5, obviously no offence meant.

I honestly think that cars and bikes that are kept garaged and then used well are a different model to the daily driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back