Battle of all " 100% full synthetic media "

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was active here, I though Fram Ultra was the ONLY one with 100% full synthetic media with wire back holding the media together..... ultra was the first that ever come up with wire back on the media do they ?

now I saw Wix XP , purolator Boss , having similar design . so let put all these premium filter together , which one would you choose ? I know ultra will always be a favorite here.

1: Fram Ultra
2: wix Xp
3: Purolator Boss
4: Mobil 1 exten ( semi synthetic )
5: K$N ( semi synthetic )
6: Napa Platium ( properly same as wix xp )
7: RP oil filter

not big fan of amsoil product.

I pick ultra, every day low price and easy to find at ANY walmart. that where I buy my oils too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Fram Tough Guard 99% efficient at 20 microns $6.64 at Walmart. Rated at 10K.

was never big fan of OCOD paper end cap , that what we use to call back then lol, until today I still cant get over it, TG is having same cardboard design, ultra is only fram oil filter I use cause of metal end cap.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Fram Tough Guard 99% efficient at 20 microns $6.64 at Walmart. Rated at 10K.

$9 for me, because they're smaller and simpler than yours. And made in China.

Mileage ratings on filters are at least 80% marketing games.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
When I was active here, I though Fram Ultra was the ONLY one with 100% full synthetic media with wire back holding the media together..... ultra was the first that ever come up with wire back on the media do they ?

The AC Delco Ultra Gold was a full synthetic wire backed filter that came out around 2000~2001. So it's not something "new", but since the AC Delco hit the market many other companies have come out with similar oil filters.

nothing Fram or Castrol for me, usually Wix but sometimes Mann filters usually on my TT.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Amsoil EA is full synthetic. It would be my pick every day over a Frame Ultra, especially if you want to extend the OCI.

+1 I'm Amsoil all the way. Too bad the OP doesn't even wish to consider some of the finer products on the market. His loss. I have run Amsoil out to 37K with good UOA (and bypass filtration).

I've heard a lot of flak on BITOG about the cost and availability of Amsoil, but I've not seen or read substantiated complaints about Amsoil quality on any of their products. I run Amsoil 5W30 motor oil, I also run their brake fluid, automatic transmission fluid and PS fluid.

TRD. 100% synthetic wire-backed media, made in USA, etc.

TRDSpinOn3_27SEP13_zps1d83f1ed.jpg

LC200TRDOilFilterCutaway_20MAY13_zps0a7e49d8.jpg

HTH

I bought a fram to try after all of what i read here but two months ago you couldn't get me to buy anything fram.
It doesn't hurt to explore though and im sure these are good filters listed though i have never used them.

I’ve tried all the above, they’re OK, but the oil still gets dirty just as fast anyway.

What did make a difference? A pair of FilterMags or on the cheap, lots of bar magnets
on the outside of the filter! Even better 2 FilterMags and extra bar magnets!

The UOA since then shows when the oil gets “dirty” it’s actually the wear metals in the oil,
not the ‘dirt’ or combustion by products like we’ve been told for decades by ‘big oil’ and ‘big filters’!

The pics in the PDF and then cutting open my own filters showed that to be true!

FILTERMAG vs HOMEBREW
https://app.box.com/s/uxvu8dmscf5wcgftutdm0ejqwgn86tw7

Amsoil EA is full synthetic. It would be my pick every day over a Frame Ultra, especially if you want to extend the OCI.
Extend it for how far? I have no doubt that an Ultra could do a 20 to 25K OCI without breaking a sweat--too bad many here will not do an OCI for half that amount.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil

+1 I'm Amsoil all the way. Too bad the OP doesn't even wish to consider some of the finer products on the market. His loss. I have run Amsoil out to 37K with good UOA (and bypass filtration).

I've heard a lot of flak on BITOG about the cost and availability of Amsoil, but I've not seen or read substantiated complaints about Amsoil quality on any of their products. I run Amsoil 5W30 motor oil, I also run their brake fluid, automatic transmission fluid and PS fluid.

+1 as well. I have run their filters for over a decade and the vehicle in my signature is proof they must be a quality filter as claimed by them. If the OP doesn't want to run that he can run a Royal Purple Filter.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Fram has improved the "cardboard" ends caps quite some time ago. The fiber end caps are now much stronger, more resilient, and do not tear from a metal end cap. There have been a very good number of Fram orange cans that have looked really good even past 6k miles. Metal end caps don't always mean or equal a good filter.

I bet a Fram Ultra or Amsoil ea filter could possibly go 30k miles in the right applications. Those two are that good.

Last edited:
The Frampion Carquest filters showed Fram can manufacture a non-wire backed media filter with metal end caps that doesn't tear as well, if & when it strikes their fancy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil

reason im not big fan of amsoil because of AVAILABILITY. I like going to auto part stored or walmart and grap a filter and get out any time I want.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
I bought a fram to try after all of what i read here but two months ago you couldn't get me to buy anything fram.
It doesn't hurt to explore though and im sure these are good filters listed though i have never used them.

why ?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Extend it for how far? I have no doubt that an Ultra could do a 20 to 25K OCI without breaking a sweat ....

Exactly 2015_PSD ... I'm sure the Amsoil filter is good, but availability is the main problem. There's no need for me to search out their products when the FRAM Ultra oil filter is just as good and I can get the oil and filters I need in stores. I'm not going to order oil filters or oil when there's no need to do that. Plus, I don't buy an oil filter without inspecting it first for defects or damage, and obviously this can't be done when ordering one. Moreover, I choose to support my local stores. Believe it or not, there are still people who care about others keeping their jobs in their local stores.

Ultra is the best deal of them all and has the highest efficiency, although the RP may be higher, not sure, but, I don't see the point in paying $15 to get a trick purple silicon ADBV.. FU can be found at any Walmart and most brick and mortar parts stores. Wouldn't bother with Wix XP because it's less efficient than the standard Wix, same goes with Boss, the One and Classic are both more efficient than the it.

What's your point? Ultra was rated at 15k and is now at 20k, that's not an extended OCI? Has a full synthetic media also, not sure if you're serious or trolling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back