16 Ram 1500, loud tick/knock on Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck was sitting for a couple of weeks due to some travel. Went to start it this morning, and it ticked loudly almost like a light knock for a solid 10 to 15 seconds. That was followed by it much lighter ticking sound for another 10 to 15 seconds. After that and driving around a little bit it was normal. Could this be the filter? It just seems like a long time to make the noise. Currently has a Wix filter and has never done this before.

Thanks for the input!

Ever run a Fram Ultra on it? My Ram is much older but it cured the ticking when first started that other filters could not do in the cold. Have a good day & long live MOPAR!!!

Originally Posted By: thorromig
Ever run a Fram Ultra on it? My Ram is much older but it cured the ticking when first started that other filters could not do in the cold. Have a good day & long live MOPAR!!!

Haven't tried the ultra but last oci was a tough guard which was always quiet

After a couple weeks of travel? Be happy it started. Just like people they need exercise. If you were in a hospital bed for a few weeks then told to start running around a football field for a few laps you would start making some odd noises as well.

If a daily occurrence then look to change filters to avoid start up noises.
smile.gif

Welcome to the Hemi “Tick” I mean Truck Club! My 2015 Ram does this from time to time. I have tried various different oils and filters with no effect. I think it has to do with the MDS system. If you shut the engine off and one of the MDS lifters is in compression from opening a valve, it bleeds the oil out of the lifter while the engine sits. So, when you start the engine back up it takes a little while for a bled lifter to pump back up. That’s why you get the tick,tick,tick!

Some Hemi's clatter on start up and others do not. My 2014 Ram 5.7L never has. I had a 2015 Challenger with the 5.7L that had horrible start up clatter. I tried everything to stop it including oil, filters, etc. Dealer said it was normal which was [censored]. Could not stand it and got rid of the car in less than a year. My 6.4L Hemi in the Scat Pack has never done it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back