Castrol Edge 5w-30, 9200 miles, 230,000 Toyota Tun

Status
Not open for further replies.

ers

Hello & Good Morning. Looking for advice, I have a couple questions on my UOA report. 2000 Toyota Tundra V8 230, 000 miles + and my current 10,000 mile interval, what synthetic oil change interval would you now recommend? Should I stay with the Castrol? Given this detailed analysis and the current age and mileage and considering I drive 85% highway miles (with very conservative (age 56) hahaha driving mph), what would be an estimate on the life (mileage) of this engine ? Just curious and I know there is no way to be sure, just looking for an estimate, which will give me the overall condition of the engine and somewhat a life expectancy of it. I realize of course it all depends on my maintenance up keep also. This has been a great truck and cosmetically is still in great shape, due to dedicated washing and waxing. I have recently contemplated taking it off of my work commute (100 mile roundtrip each day). I have actually scaled back since this past May since my wife and I upgraded another vehicle, but it toooo much fun to drive. I would include a pic, but need some help. Many thanks for this community.

Ernie

Html:
OIL Castrol Edge 5w-30 (Black Bottle)

MILES IN USE 9200 10,223

MILES 229K 124K

SAMPLE TAKEN 11/03/17 09/23/13

Make up Oil 1/2qt 1qt

ALUMINUM 4 3

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 4 5

COPPER 8 3

LEAD 0 4

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 79 77

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 18 44

POTASSIUM 0 0

BORON 97 20

SILICON 33 12

SODIUM 5 4

CALCIUM 2013 793

MAGNESIUM 10 1625

PHOSPHORUS 706 673

ZINC 780 889

BARIUM 0 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 63.7 61.4

cSt Vis 100C 11.25 10.6

FLASHPOINT ºF 405 370

Fuel%
AntiFreeze% 0.0 0.0

WATER % POS 0.0

INSOLUBLES 0.1 0.2

There's nothing there that would say this engine is in imminent danger of self-destruction. Beyond that any life estimates would be conjecture. A UOA does not somehow predict remaining life of an engine.

I've gotten nearly 400,000 miles on my 1MZ-FE so far and it isn't dead yet, so if that is any indication of the longevity of a Toyota engine (even one with a somewhat bad reputation) then I think you can anticipate continued service from yours.

9,200 miles and 1/2 qt. makeup oil, not too bad. With that many total miles on the engine, you should be pleased.

Thanks for the replies. Most of the time I use Fram filters.

Ernie

Last edited:
For that long of OCI those are pretty good numbers except for the SILICON. What kind of air filter are you using and when did you change it last?

Thanks for replying. Air filter brand, I'm unsure, about 20-25,000 miles probably. Which would be about a year.

Originally Posted By: ers
I would include a pic, but need some help. Many thanks for this community.

Simple, click reply then click the tab with the blue up arrow on it. Which is the 5th box over on top of the dialogue box.
smile.gif

Air filter brand, I'm unsure, about 20-25,000 miles probably. Which would be about a year.

Fram has nice air filters and available at Walmart. But shop the price online and reserve it at the store. I got an air filter for the Matrix for around $11 which was $18 at the store. Same thing with the cabin filter. Fram Fresh Breeze with carbon.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Air filter brand, I'm unsure, about 20-25,000 miles probably. Which would be about a year.

Fram has nice air filters and available at Walmart. But shop the price online and reserve it at the store. I got an air filter for the Matrix for around $11 which was $18 at the store. Same thing with the cabin filter. Fram Fresh Breeze with carbon.

Thanks SatinSilver!

Just had timing belt/water pump changed within 1000 miles. 2nd time since I've owned in 6 years.

You may want to see a sample off to Terry Dyson. He might be able to give you a more in-depth look into the health of the engine.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
That 4.7L is one of Toyotas best...then again what engine isnt.

Hmmm... Idk... 2AZ-FE with bad oil rings that killed many engines AND head bolts that stretch out in early engines?
Or maybe 1MZ that is famous for sludging up if an oil change is skipped once or twice?
Also early 1ZZ comes to mind with its share of bad oil rings and 1qt/100 mile oil consumption.
Oh also 2GR makes it in the list for that oil tube that has sent many of those amazing 3.5L engines in the trash bin.
4GR really likes getting rebuilt once in a while due to those wonderful DI deposits every 100k miles or so...
OH! Almost forgot! The great 7M-GE/GTE with the undertorqued head bolts that set themselves loose!
Even this wonderful 4.7L 2UZ engine had issues, but only when equipped with the TRD Supercharger from the factory. So I blame the supercharger here for the thousands of snapped connecting rods.

Oh how much I love Toyota. I got 2AZ, 2TR, & 3MZ in my stable currently and love every single one of those engines.

Impressive wear numbers and viscosity for a 9200 mile run. Castrol makes great oil. I wonder what the tbn was like, tan must have been fine because copper & tin are very low. It's good to see that the oil didn't lose viscosity, but instead thickened ever so slightly within grade. You must have very good ring seals still.

I have to disagree about fram air filters. I ran one in my cobalt for a few months, and started notice my fuel trims climbing. There was a manufacturing defect in the pleats that was allowing dirt through, got my intake all dirty and contaminated my MAF.

I could see the dirty spot on the 'clean' side of the filter where the dirt was flying through. Wix makes very good air filters. I prefer their oil filters to, all steel end caps

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back