14 Impreza STI - Copper and SILVER?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

So I seem to be developing a concerning trend with oil analysis and was told this is the place to seek out input.

A larger and larger amount of copper and silver are developing in my oil analysis. The oil has been valvoline synpower with malice. Full synthetic 5w30.

A big question would be would changing to different oil at this point change the trend in concerning metals or if 5he damage is done and I am in for some fun.

You either have bearing trouble that is going to get worse or you have some sort of flake of metal stuck in one or more of the bearings that is causing this and it will eventually work itself loose hopefully and then the numbers will come down. Sometimes in the machining process there are metal bits left over in new engines and something like this can happen. I just hope it doesn't cause too much damage before it resolves if this is all that it is.

I don't think changing the oil is going to make any difference at all. Especially with it being Valvoline.

Good luck.
thumbsup2.gif

I have to agree with StevieC. If it were me, I would use another company to do your next analysis. Just for comparison and keep your OCI about the same. What brand filter are you using? Are you aware that some filters were recalled?

Silver is from the bearings like Blackstone said and they have seen failures in Subaru's with silver as low as 6-8 ppm's. What are your driving conditions and do you have ANY mods?

The best oil on earth wont make up the fact your engine is on its way out. I once owned an 07' WRX with the 2.5. Less power, but still.
Here is a Valvoline Synpower 5W30 UOA on mine at 4032 miles.

Appreciate every ones input. I would like to have some wishful thinking but looks like I am in for some fun. I'll do another analysis in 1000 miles and see if I can't get a second one from another company to be sure but it doesn't look good either way....

I looked into the filter recall but it seems the issue was that the recalled filters leaked. I had seen the California guys lawsuit

Car is stock. Driving conditions are as follows: Daily less then 1 mile commute to work. Typically stay out of power but every once in awhile will have some fun. Always ensure the engine is fully warmed before getting on power. Checked fluids at fill-ups etc. Mechanically it drives and seems fine.

Would anyone have an opinion as to that being it is under warranty if I take the car to the dealer with the Oil Analysis do you think they will have some consideration to repair? Or will dealers typically not want to see an oil analysis?

How many miles on the car?
For future reference, oils with large amounts of molybdenum would be my first choice.
Do you rev the engine very high or do you keep rpms low?

Originally Posted By: 555
For future reference, oils with large amounts of molybdenum would be my first choice.

Bit over 25,000. What would be an example of such oils? Rpms are kept low in typical driving staying out of boost. During times of fun certainly using the upper band of available revolutions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bunchocrunch
Appreciate every ones input. I would like to have some wishful thinking but looks like I am in for some fun. I'll do another analysis in 1000 miles and see if I can't get a second one from another company to be sure but it doesn't look good either way....

I looked into the filter recall but it seems the issue was that the recalled filters leaked. I had seen the California guys lawsuit

Car is stock. Driving conditions are as follows: Daily less then 1 mile commute to work. Typically stay out of power but every once in awhile will have some fun. Always ensure the engine is fully warmed before getting on power. Checked fluids at fill-ups etc. Mechanically it drives and seems fine.

Would anyone have an opinion as to that being it is under warranty if I take the car to the dealer with the Oil Analysis do you think they will have some consideration to repair? Or will dealers typically not want to see an oil analysis?

Use Test Oil in Ohio they have good calibrated UOA's.

As long as your car is stock, I wouldn't be too concerned as long as you have oil receipts. Also keep an eye on your level. It's doubtful that a dealer will take any action just based on a uoa. Might be worth getting the next uoa with similar miles to keep the comparison similar. If lead is still elevated consider looking into a Dyson Analysis.

Sorry I missed what filters you are using? Subaru blue cans are still the safest for these cars.

I know my car takes 3-4 kms to warm up, do you know what kind of temps your car is hitting with the 1 mile commute?

My car is showing high iron (29ppm) at 70k kms, but Ive only done one UOA so npt sure if its trending. Everything else was low.

I have a Silverado that had a coolant leak based on UOA and they replaced both heads due to porosity in heads. Chevy new there was a problem with certain heads, so it wasn't a problem getting fixed under warranty.

Using the subaru blue filters from the dealership, have been doing the changes myself but have all receipts and changes documented so hopefully that will be good enough.

The needle barely hits "normal" on the coolant temp on the dash so I'm not sure if the car is really warmed up or not. I've been taking a longer route to work recently...

I'll be talking to the dealership early next week to let them know my concerns well see how it goes. Good to hear Chevy did something, well see what Subaru does.

Thank everyone! I'll keep posted on what happens.

I'd make detailed notes of the dealer visit. If something fails and it's just out of warranty, you can use your notes as a "told you so" and potentially get it fixed or take them to court and get it fixed.

At least you have plenty of UOA and visits to dealership as proof of issues that were showing before warranty was over.

Originally Posted By: KL31
I'd make detailed notes of the dealer visit. If something fails and it's just out of warranty, you can use your notes as a "told you so" and potentially get it fixed or take them to court and get it fixed.

At least you have plenty of UOA and visits to dealership as proof of issues that were showing before warranty was over.

Yeah, probably also worth having the dealer make a note of the actual copper and silver readings in the computer. .

Originally Posted By: 555

Bit over 25,000. What would be an example of such oils? Rpms are kept low in typical driving staying out of boost. During times of fun certainly using the upper band of available revolutions.

If memory serves, from the UOAs I've read on this site, Subaru synthetic has a much higher then average amount of moly. I don't remember the amount in Motul(it's in my sig, so I should address it)but I have noticed as have my passengers that my STi starts quicker. I'm not saying there is a connection between moly and quick starts.
Let us know what the dealer says.
How do you stay out of boost? Do you have a boost gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back