Ceratec,how many miles before using in new engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bottle of Ceratec that I would like to use in my new Chevy Equinox. Coming up on 5,000 miles and ready for an oil change soon. Too early to put the Ceratec in? Or should the engine be fully broken in by now and OK to use?

I recall reading somewhere, I'll be [censored] if I knew where though, they recommended adding it after 10K miles. I'd play it safe and wait for 10K miles, if I were inclined to try it.

The use of oil additives is a personal decision. If the OP wants to use the Ceratec then he should be able to. LM has the info in their website about adding the product.

One aspect to consider is the interaction between this or any product and the coatings and treatments in modern engines. Most have plasma coatings, DLC, Moly coatings etc. Due diligence should be performed.

One million miles. When you get to that milestone, you can add what you wish. Yet, there will still be someone here critical of that choice.

OP:

Congrats on the Equinox! Here's the thing about using any additive on a brand new vehicle. There is the remote possibility that your new engine has some kind of mechanical defect in it. Who knows what the actual odds are - very low - but we'd all have to agree there is the remote possibility.

That said, should your vehicle be one of the very few to have an engine failure, it is my belief that it is SOP for a new car dealership to perform an oil analysis on any engine requiring major repair or replacement. In the warranty evaluation process it is my belief that they have an oil "signature" that is used to compare against the oil that came out of the faulty engine.

Should there be significant deviation from the signature they have on file - which any oil additive would cause - it is my opinion that this could compromise the warranty and how those costs are accounted for.

I'll be upfront, I am not an additive kind of guy so I'm not sure what you expect to gain from adding an additive to the oil of a nearly new vehicle, of which you are already running a high quality OEM approved oil. But if you insist on using an additive, I'd wait until 15,000 miles before doing so. If your engine lasts that long it is most certainly defect free.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back