Mobil 1 10W/30 EP 338mi 1972 F100 RangerXLT 390CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
F10078098.jpg

HMM...

Couple of things, the indicated mileage is estimated with exception of the 198 miles last time and the mileages on this run and are since the engine build. I had misplaced the records but have since found them.

I strongly suspect the fuel pump is leaking internally as well as externally and that there is more than a trace of fuel in this sample, going to fix that.

The advice to listen for a ticking sound it a little amusing since it is a solid roller... It doesn’t make any abnormal noise and runs strong.

All 338 miles of this run was back and forth to the landfill with yard debris and several loads (like 2 tons worth) of egg rock...

Were the cam bearings replaced at rebuild? If so that explains the copper. Sometimes it takes a while to see them come down.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Those are some pretty high lead & copper numbers-I hope you're not losing a bearing.

Me too, I guess if it is then I’ll just change them, if it wiped the crank - I guess that would be as good of excuse as any to turn it into a 445.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Were the cam bearings replaced at rebuild? If so that explains the copper. Sometimes it takes a while to see them come down.

They were, in fact nearly everything was replaced. The block and head casting were reused and a 390 rotating assembly was reconditioned, It makes 10.6:1 compression, cobra jet valves, crower solid roller...

I’ve got to go back and find the info on the bearings, they were either Clevite or Speed Pro “High Performance”.

My only experience with the FE big blocks was in my brother's old '68 F-100 Ranger, a 360. We rebuilt it and ran VWB 10W40 (this was back in the day, I'm sure SE or SF, and it ran until the body finished rusting off of it. I'm with the guys above, and I wouldn't think that even VR1 20W50 and a shot of LiquiMoly MOS2 wouldn't be a bad idea-the oils back in those days were pretty loaded with it.

Are you guys looking at the dates? I’m not inclined to move away from Mobil, though I did consider putting 10/40HM in it...

The bearing clearances are relatively tight on it and it is full roller (Roller cam, Roller rockers, roller thrust bearing on the cam... so it really shouldn’t have any “Old engine” requirements.

One thing I did remember is that two of the rods in it appear to be copper plated, this isn’t particularly uncommon though no one has ever been able to really explain the reason, at least not that I recall. The beams on the rods were ground and polished, everything was shot peened as well... The pistons are forged flat top Speed Pro with skirt coating.

Have you considered a 10W30 or 10W40 blend? It may be a little early for an HM oil.
As far as fuel dilution, installing an external electric fuel pump may solve that problem.

Last edited:
I just about guarantee that this motor is just fine....

Still breaking in... Hardly no miles on this truck motor really in the past 8 years.

If this truck had seen the average of 15k miles a year... It would be at or near 120k miles on it.

So this was a recently rebuilt motor? I'd be yelling at whoever bunged that job.

Originally Posted by BLND1
So this was a recently rebuilt motor? I'd be yelling at whoever bunged that job.

I've yelled at him, he seems fairly unresponsive, being as it is hard to yell and respond at the same time.

He does say there's more to the story...

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Ouch! Doesnt look good

Adam, you sir are a master of understatement... it is about as bad as it gets.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by littleant
+1 Go to a dino
Originally Posted by Chris142
It dont like mobil-1. I would try a dino such as pennzoil or castrol. 10w40 or a 15w40.

crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
My only experience with the FE big blocks was in my brother's old '68 F-100 Ranger, a 360. We rebuilt it and ran VWB 10W40 (this was back in the day, I'm sure SE or SF, and it ran until the body finished rusting off of it. I'm with the guys above, and I wouldn't think that even VR1 20W50 and a shot of LiquiMoly MOS2 wouldn't be a bad idea-the oils back in those days were pretty loaded with it.

API SC motor oils did not have much of anything other than about 800PPM of ZDDP and unlike today organic additives were almost not heard of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back