Are pushrod engines being manufactured anymore ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean for cars and light trucks obviously. Can you buy a new car or pickup with an OHV pushrod engine today, or are they all going to be OHC with variable valve timing ?

GM & Mopar V8’s? ... continue to make serious power >>> lower CG in Racing applications …

Chevy pushrod V8's make a lot of power in less space than many other engine configurations.

Check out the LT5 if you looking for some serious power.

Yes, Hemi and LS engines continue to be made in that configuration. Cam configuration really matters little. They are both pushing on valves in the head, just a different way of getting there. The valve and head configuration matters WAY more.
The advantage of OHC probably only comes in at ridiculously high RPM where the more direct action of the cam allows for lighter valvetrain and thus lighter valve springs. If you spin a OHV really high the inertia of the lifter, pushrod, rocker arm means you have to run really heavy valve springs to shove it all back. But Im sure this only really is an issue at 8, 9 grand.
Otherwise, the OHC has twice, four times the bearing surfaces to oil and create friction, and big long chains or belts.
I wish Ford had stayed with OHV. As mentioned OHV is way more compact. My 4.6L OHC is as tall and wide as a old 460 (7.5L) big block, its only shorter in length. Its ridiculous!

Originally Posted By: mechjames
Chevy/GM V8's, Mopar V8's are all cam in block pushrod design.
Only Ford went overhead cam and didn't look back.

So is GM making their cylinder deactivation engines while still using a pushrod design ?
So if I got rid of the cylinder deactivation, I'd have a regular pushrod engine ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: mechjames
Chevy/GM V8's, Mopar V8's are all cam in block pushrod design.
Only Ford went overhead cam and didn't look back.

So is GM making their cylinder deactivation engines while still using a pushrod design ?
So if I got rid of the cylinder deactivation, I'd have a regular pushrod engine ?

Yes. And there are a lot of people doing it (removing the cyl deactivation). I forgot what all parts get changed but its supposed to help the oil burning issue big time.

The GM 4.8 engine never had DOD but I don't think they make that engine anymore. The 5.7 Hemi in my Dodge doesn't have it either. The cars w/automatic trans have it, though.

The 5.7 has deactivation as well as the 6.4 Hemi in Automatics only. As a matter of fact if you buy a standard with either engine you get hit with a Gas Guzzler tax.
6.4 Hemi we got gets 24-25 mpg on the highway. Pretty impressive. Also shoots down the whole 5w20 oil required since it runs on 0w40.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Chevy pushrod V8's make a lot of power in less space than many other engine configurations.

In fact, I am unaware of any modern production engine that has better power to weight or power to size. So much so, that it takes serious technical effort just to match the run of the mill LS3 in outright output.

In fact, a detuned, RPM limited, and reduced displacement (5.5L) normally aspirated, without adjustable cam timing, Chevy Small Block is what is currently used in the C7r, and it FLAT OUT cleans up in the racing circuits against uber high tech engines from Ford, Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar and so on.

Last edited:
Oh yes. Besides the GM and Chrysler V8's, VW still uses one on the Bentley Mulsanne
smile.gif

That’s what I was thinking ~ the smaller DOHC TDI engines get set up with more valves … but the larger V8’s can make decent power with either …

My LH9 does not have AFM ~ thought that was strange to not install that in a small truck ~ but on the other hand it has been a trouble free vehicle and will keep on using it …

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

In fact, I am unaware of any modern production engine that has better power to weight or power to size. So much so, that it takes serious technical effort just to match the run of the mill LS3 in outright output.

In fact, a detuned, RPM limited, and reduced displacement (5.5L) normally aspirated, without adjustable cam timing, Chevy Small Block is what is currently used in the C7r, and it FLAT OUT cleans up in the racing circuits against uber high tech engines from Ford, Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar and so on.

Indeed. There's a reason the new C7 Vette has the lowest Center of Gravity ever measured at Car and driver. It's that ultra compact engine! Put an LS in almost anything. It'll probably fit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back