2 oil change with ultra ? dino oil 5k each

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking using ultra for 2 oil change on on my family car, mix city/highway 5k miles oil change. the way his car oil filter location, I might as well leave it there for 2 oil change, never did 2 oil change on same filter in my life. This will be no problem with ultra right ?

are peoples doing 2 oil change on same filter with ultra ? do you guy just leave the filter in there or take off to drain the old oil, then reinstall the filter ?

What vehicle on most no problem at all doing it on a few myself. Every vehicle I've done it on I know the history and changed oil on them since day one. I have always used full synthetic or syn blend when doing back to back change I cut all ultra filters they are built extremely well all look perfect after multiple change I'm not one to go over the 10k to 12k on any.

Is this for your Nissan truck? Is it a spin in filter? I'm not a fan of their cartridges..

Anyways, some here have taken them off to drain, but I am in the "don't disturb the gasket" camp. There's a 50/50 chance it's usable after you remove and reinstall it. The potential risk in the name of saving time and money just doesn't add up to me. But to each his own.

I've ran them to 15k before with various brands, types etc. It'll be fine.

Do not remove filter and reinstall it.
The gasket may leak.
There is not enough old oil in there to worry about.

Originally Posted By: dave123
What vehicle on most no problem at all doing it on a few myself. Every vehicle I've done it on I know the history and changed oil on them since day one. I have always used full synthetic or syn blend when doing back to back change I cut all ultra filters they are built extremely well all look perfect after multiple change I'm not one to go over the 10k to 12k on any.

"50/50 chance the gasket will leak"....Huh? Its a piece of square cross section rubber. Don't be silly....it won't leak.

Originally Posted By: philipp10

"50/50 chance the gasket will leak"....Huh? Its a piece of square cross section rubber. Don't be silly....it won't leak.

It's a square piece of rubber that smashes down over time and conforms to the filter it's fitted into, thus creating a seal between the can and engine/ filter housing. Cartridge filters typically come with new seals for this vary reason.

As I said, to each his own.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

It's a square piece of rubber that smashes down over time and conforms to the filter it's fitted into, thus creating a seal between the can and engine/ filter housing. Cartridge filters typically come with new seals for this vary [sic] reason.

As I said, to each his own.

This.

I will add that of the OEM’s that recommend running a filter more than one OCI, not one that I am aware of says to remove and reinstall the filter.

I DO NOT remove filter that would be stupid when performing back to back oil change just drain pan and fill.

Don't take it off!! It will seem OK when reinstalled, but your risk of it backing off when driving is exponentially higher. If you feel you have to take it off, just replace it-don't want to see a filter experiment cause a blown engine.

Easy Peasy.

I did 30,000 miles on a Motorcraft FL-1A back in the early 90's.
I pulled it and drained it each time, but I don't do that anymore.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

are peoples doing 2 oil change on same filter with ultra ? do you guy just leave the filter in there or take off to drain the old oil, then reinstall the filter ?

You can do either/or - I have NEVER EVER had an oil filter not seal after re-installing it. EVER.

That small bit of oil left in the filter won't harm anything.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Don't take it off!! It will seem OK when reinstalled, but your risk of it backing off when driving is exponentially higher.

That simply is not true. Not one word of it.

Its a square piece of rubber. If it still has spring in the rubber, it will seal. If it doesn't have spring, it would of leaked whether it was removed.....or not. The idea that removing it somehow changes it's ability to seal is just silly....about as silly as some of the information on this website.

It's just foolish to remove, drain and reinstall an $8 filter. The point of using a Fram Ultra is that they're now rated for 20,000 miles, and allegedly they filter better as they age, unless your engine is a sludger.

If you're going to remove the filter every 5K miles, use a cheaper filter and install a new one, unless your money grows on trees and you like to get your hands dirty for no reason. I run the Ultra for two 6K intervals, and I'm under using the filter.

Getting back to your original question, I see no problem with running an Ultra for two changes. My Pilot's manual says to replace the oem made by Fram filter every other oil change, so that is what I am doing using a Fram Ultra. The filters are now rated for 20,000 miles. Just leave the filter alone when you change.

Done on both FU and M1 filters ~ did not remove in between 5k runs on ecoboost …

I was thinking using ultra for 2 oil change on on my family car, mix city/highway 5k miles oil change. the way his car oil filter location, I might as well leave it there for 2 oil change, never did 2 oil change on same filter in my life. This will be no problem with ultra right ?

There is no point in draining the old oil then reinstalling the filter. There is so little oil in the filter to begin with, plus you will never get anywhere near 100% of the old oil out even if you put in a brand new filter.

FRAM Ultra are good for well beyond 10k miles, unless your engine is a sludger.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is this for your Nissan truck? Is it a spin in filter? I'm not a fan of their cartridges..

Anyways, some here have taken them off to drain, but I am in the "don't disturb the gasket" camp. There's a 50/50 chance it's usable after you remove and reinstall it. The potential risk in the name of saving time and money just doesn't add up to me. But to each his own.

I've ran them to 15k before with various brands, types etc. It'll be fine.

hi, its not for my truck, my truck still have spin oil filter, and its very easy to access. I will leave the ultra in for 2 oil change
smile.gif

Last edited:
You will be fine for 2 OCI on Fram Ultra. Check ebay. I bought (5) FU for $4.50 each. Can't beat the prices for Fram Ultra.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

No problem ... and leave it on between oil changes as many others have suggested. Nothing gained by removing it, draining and reinstalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back