Active Fuel Management Delete Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had my 2013 Tahoe AFM programmed out by a local shop, and bumped the shift points up a little for $150. Truck runs much smoother now and accelerates much better with less throttle now by staying in gear longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
That's a bit more involved than most of us are capable of. I'm hoping by 2016 GM has it figured out.

Interesting reading, thanks for the link.

I’m going to hang in there too … it’s a very smooth motor (way quieter than my ecoboost) … playing around I can keep it V4 up to 65-70 mph (flat land) …

That's a bit more involved than most of us are capable of. I'm hoping by 2016 GM has it figured out.

Interesting reading, thanks for the link.

It's very old news here as we have a few AFM equipped vehicles with zero issues. Pretty much all done now. Our oldest is a 2013 with 117k miles and zero problems. No oil use yet either. I watch it carefully.

Must be noted that the fuel mileage is amazing for a 3500 series long wheelbase van loaded to 9000 pounds every day!

Just dealt with this issue a week ago, posted in another thread. 07 Silverado, 110k on it. 3 cylinders shut down from the AFM and wouldn't come back. He took it to his "engine friend" who just swapped in a Jasper motor. 3 yr/100k warranty, so I guess well see how it goes.

I was rather impressed with the gas mileage of a Silverado I rented last year with the 5.3L. It wasnt as fast as I thought it would be, but the gas mileage was quite impressive. I suppose as long as you have no issues associated to having AFM, its worth leaving it as is.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I was rather impressed with the gas mileage of a Silverado I rented last year with the 5.3L. It wasnt as fast as I thought it would be, but the gas mileage was quite impressive. I suppose as long as you have no issues associated to having AFM, its worth leaving it as is.

It varies tremendously across the trucks. I have no experience with AFM in GM cars. In our light duty trucks the programming is very annoying on earlier models. Transmission still shifts too soon and you are into AFM too early IMO. In our 3500 monster vans the shifts are delayed and the AFM stays out of sight, almost hard to notice.

Programming is the key to smooth cylinder deactivation for fuel economy. You can imagine the throttle programming required to change from 6 liters to 3 in a V8! A few mfgrs have it better than others. My Wife's RAM 5.7 is perfectly transparent, if it wasn't for the green indicator light you'd hardly be able to tell.

Like many modern vehicle features this is a shot at trying for the best CAFE numbers. Thank the people at the EPA.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My Wife's RAM 5.7 is perfectly transparent, if it wasn't for the green indicator light you'd hardly be able to tell.

Hmmmm, that reminds me that I haven't seen the green eco light that comes on in the Camry when it's getting excellent mpg in a long time. I wonder if I accidentally disabled it when turning off the Maintenance Required light. Thanks for the reminder.
smile.gif

That's a bit more involved than most of us are capable of.

I used to feel that way up until I was about 20 years old when I met my best friend who got me over the fear of mechanical things. After I learned how to change a water pump on my 1970 Mercury Cougar, I wasn't afraid of mechanical things anymore. We both had 1970 Mercury Cougars at the time.
smile.gif

No fear of mechanical things here. If it was just the top end stuff without pulling the heads I might consider it down the road. Maybe doesn't matter, the parts might not exist for the 4.3 motor. Might tune out AFM after warranty.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That's a bit more involved than most of us are capable of.

I used to feel that way up until I was about 20 years old when I met my best friend who got me over the fear of mechanical things. After I learned how to change a water pump on my 1970 Mercury Cougar, I wasn't afraid of mechanical things anymore. We both had 1970 Mercury Cougars at the time.
smile.gif

I probably wouldn't be afraid of a 1970 Mercury Cougar either (except maybe paying to insure and fuel it).

But for most people, those days are long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back