Extension cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

4WD

$50 site donor 2024
I’m going to set up a 15 amp saw about 60 feet from the plug to do a weekend project …
Have three 25’ cords: 10awg, 12 awg, 14 awg …

What is best order to avoid drop in the line?

Dude, cordless, step up to the 2000's.

14awg is good for 15amps, use all three and your fine.
If it was me, I would have the 10awg closest to the house and the 14 at the end.
The only reason I say that is if one is going to get warm it should be the 14.
If its at the end, its furthest away from the house, closest to you and gives you the best chance of catching it.

Ha, I have a number of cordless tools … just for the Dewalt saw and my treated lumber looks pretty soggy …
Thanks …

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You're better off using the 10 and the 12 but forget about the 14.

Then I should just go buy another 12 … left too many of them at the bay house …

Originally Posted By: 4WD

That depends on how special your saw is. The saw is going to do its job whether its using Voltage or Amps. It just so happens that in the absence of Voltage, the saw is going to pull more Amps. When it pulls more Amps, the windings in the motor heat up. Heat up too much and your motor is toast.

I think you're probably good with 12AWG up to 50ft.
wire-amperage-chart1.gif

Your internal house wiring could be another 50 feet of 14 AWG and we all assume that it's "perfect" at the outlet. Use what you've got, and stop work if it sounds different from normal.

I ran an air compressor off 100 feet of 16 AWG extension cord and it worked fine for a while until the cord heated up and its resistance went up. For intermittent use of a saw you shouldn't have this problem.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
You'll get the same drop in any order.

100% correct.

AC power goes looking for "the weakest link in the chain"

Is it a miter saw?
Like on for a few seconds, then off for many minutes?
You should be fine.

A continuous load, like a big shop vac or air compressor, would test the 14 gauge cord to it's limits.

Remember, intermittent loads are always calculated on a different chart than continuous loads.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You're better off using the 10 and the 12 but forget about the 14.

Yes. I would buy a 50' #12. The cheesy plugs and outlets are the weak parts of most extension cords. Best would be to buy a 75' and replace the plug and outlet.

Thanks ~ will do … the wall outlet is a new 20 amp 110v “homerun” from a 220V panel … (GFCI too)

Interesting ~ was just there yesterday too ~ bet somebody got a bonus for that name too
wink.gif

It should be fine to use it all in any order.

My dad used to weld for an hour at a time on a 100’ extension cord plugged into an outlet 50’ from the breaker box.

Order doesn't matter as it will be a series connection. Use the 10 + 12g to get close.

As you're doing a weekend project, don't worry about wire gauge resistance consequences. It's not worth it. In a permanent installation, used day-in/day-out, with heavy use, then it would matter and should be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back