Leaving money in vehicles .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually leave some emergency cash in my center console for fuel and stuff . I had cup holders filled up with change and rolled up $20 worth of quarters, left them in the center console under a bunch of odds and ends . Went to deposit them along with some cash today and to my surprise they were gone .

I have never had this happen . The cash was left alone but the rolls are gone . Why would a person take rolled up coins but leave bills alone ?
I am not sure where and when they went missing because they were in there for months .
The doors stay locked and only times it has been unlocked was outdoors at service waiting to be picked up at two different places.

Not a big loss but strange .

The car was kept locked, but the money is gone?

You're certain you didn't misplace it?

Outdoors at service? What is this?

Moral of the story is leave nothing of value in a car.
Emergency cash?
That's what the plastic in your wallet is for.
If you really feel the need to leave a few bucks in the car, there are plenty of good hidy-holes.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Meth

Heroin.
whistle.gif

The big lesson is don’t leave anything tempting in plain sight. Thieves simply wander around among cars looking for easy pickings. If nothing promising is in plain view they won’t bust a random window to check. On the other hand if something does he will bust the window or pick the lock and see what’s there. Even if he comes up with zip you still get to deal with the mess and bill for the window.
mad.gif
Lock it and keep it looking uninviting and don’t stash anything you can’t afford to lose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sleepery
Why would a person take rolled up coins but leave bills alone ?

Cash is traceable, coins aren't.

Taken the car to a car wash? Or a mechanic? Valet?

I left the Camry unlocked once in March infront of my grandparent's house. Their cars were unlocked too and someone rampaged through them and through the owner's manuals in the street, scooped out the center consoles all over the cars, rummaged through the glove box and dumped it all out. Made an extreme mess. Did it to the neighbors 3 cars too. They didn't take anything though form our cars, including lots of change. They should tole the neighbors reading glasses though. Weirdos.

My grandparents once went out to their minivan and went to a drive thru and noticed they were missing the $10 in change in the center console. They looked in the back seat and found a homeless guy had been sleeping in the van. Luckily he wasn't still in there but some of his stuff and blanket were in the back seat.

People are just weird.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
They looked in the back seat and found a homeless guy had been sleeping in the van. Luckily he wasn't still in there but some of his stuff and blanket were in the back seat.

People are just weird.

Good thing he didn't decide to use it as his personal port-o-let after sleeping in it. I would have been looking for wet spots.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
They looked in the back seat and found a homeless guy had been sleeping in the van. Luckily he wasn't still in there but some of his stuff and blanket were in the back seat.

People are just weird.

Good thing he didn't decide to use it as his personal port-o-let after sleeping in it. I would have been looking for wet spots.
smile.gif

Maybe it dried up by the time he got there. I used to keep change in the center console, but after a couple years, someone smashed the passenger side window and yeah, stuff was all over the place, only thing missing was the change. No deducible on glass for me so it didn't cost anything to fix the window, just a waste of time getting it done, but for a few months afterwards, there were still little bits of glass that keep popping up. So now I make sure it's empty when I leave. There was also stuff in the trunk but I guess thieves aren't that smart about using the inside trunk release to open the trunk, everything was still there.

The ORIGINAL, REAL NAME of the tune is, "Leave NOTHING in your car PERIOD".

I sold the cargo cover (like a horizontal window shade) from my Volvo to a guy for $100. They were like $140 from the parts dept.

The buyer asked, "Why would you sell this?" I said, "I leave NOTHING in my car PERIOD".

He said, "I leave tons of stuff in my car so I need a cover."

Different strokes.....

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Moral of the story is leave nothing of value in a car.

There were a rash of vehicle break ins in my area a few weeks ago and people reported having lap tops and purses and wallets in their cars that they left parked in their driveway overnight. There are two things wrong with this scenario. Number one is the fact that these people left their vehicles outside instead of in their garage (too many people around here fill their garages with boxes that they could easily put in their basement instead) and number two is obvious, if you must leave it parked outside don't leave your valuable stuff inside it!

Now that I think about it leaving cup holders full of change is an invite for someone to break a window to grab it .

Originally Posted By: Patman
There were a rash of vehicle break ins in my area a few weeks ago and people reported having lap tops and purses and wallets in their cars that they left parked in their driveway overnight. There are two things wrong with this scenario. Number one is the fact that these people left their vehicles outside instead of in their garage (too many people around here fill their garages with boxes that they could easily put in their basement instead) and number two is obvious, if you must leave it parked outside don't leave your valuable stuff inside it!

Same thing here with a rash of thefts from cars with one of them being recorded. The information was on the police facebook page. Their recommendation was to LOCK up your vehicles since that's what all the thefts had in common, unlocked doors. Luckily none of them had broken glass to deal with.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: sleepery
I usually leave some emergency cash in my center console for fuel and stuff . I had cup holders filled up with change and rolled up $20 worth of quarters, left them in the center console under a bunch of odds and ends.

Not a big loss but strange .

I wanted to parse your original post like this to form my brain dump of it.

(meaning I got the message and it is on Fort Knox lock down for me, now)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back