too much oil added in cylinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was servicing my generator for long term storage. The instruction booklet recommended adding a tablespoon of oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and rotating the engine to lubricate the cylinder and prevent corrosion. I accidentally tipped the oil can a bit too much and probably a good 3 tablespoons dripped in. I rotated the engine and reinstalled the spark plug. Could I damage the engine next time I start it? I'm nervous about hydrolocking (oil locking in this case) the engine, fouling up the spark plug, or causing valve damage. My guess is that I'm overreacting and what excess oil there is will just seep past the cylinder rings through the months. Should I suck up any oil from the cylinder?

Originally Posted By: Superflop
Give the cord a good couple yanks with the plug out.. reinstall and call it a day.

Look down the cylinder while you're doing it to make sure it all comes out
whistle.gif

Seriously though, put a towel over it unless you want oil mist everywhere.

Originally Posted By: Superflop
Give the cord a good couple yanks with the plug out.. reinstall and call it a day.
not now though, that'd be pointless. put a note on it for the it comes out of storage

I would imagine that most of it will have seeped back down past the rings during long-term storage. I wouldn't worry at all. If you are concerned pull the cord a few times with the plug removed first.

The pull cord will break long before you do any damage to the engine internals from hydro-lock. Remove the spark plug and blow some out, otherwise it'll probably drain over the storage period.

Originally Posted By: Frankws6
My guess is that I'm overreacting and what excess oil there is will just seep past the cylinder rings through the months.

You have guessed correctly.

I'm asking this in relation to my 23 year old 5hp Tecumseh on my MTD blower and not a newer OHV. Is it possible for the oil to find its way to the carb back thru the valves if you pulled the cord to many times?

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I'm asking this in relation to my 23 year old 5hp Tecumseh on my MTD blower and not a newer OHV. Is it possible for the oil to find its way to the carb back thru the valves if you pulled the cord to many times?

I don't see how the air (or anything else in the cylinder) would be made to flow back toward the carb.

Reversion can and does happen, but I can't see it at 'manual pulling' speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back