Sinclair Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same oil as walmart's SuperTech oil. Sinclair needed something to put in their gas stations, and they let Warren Performance Products (aka Warren Distribution) do the work for them. Makes good business sense. (Please note that "WPP" = Warren Performance Products (aka, Warren Distribution) and is NOT affiliated with Warren Oil. Warren oil does not make any products for WalMart stores.)

There should be a "BITOG Oil", which could simply be another WPP re-labelled oil we could tout as something really cool. Marketing.

BTW, nothing wrong with Warren's oil. They seem to be fine.

Never used it, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. Here's the PQIA's testing of Sinclair's conventional oil. LINK

The Sinclair full synthetic Dexos 5W30 (D1-G1) always looked like a very good oil to me.

(Link Sinclair Dexos PDF)

It's has a high HTHS at 3.2 cP, a low Noack Volatility at 10.5% with a massive Boron dose of 230ppm with a touch of Moly (79 ppm), regular zinc (850 ppm) with a TBN of 7.9 on a 2140ppm Calcium detergent package.
SA = 0.92 %
KV40 = 63.95 cSt
KV100 = 10.93 cSt

That is a decent low Noack, always a good sign, plus a generous amount of Boron, with everything else where it should be. That would be enough for me. But take a closer look and I think it gets a bit better
Sinclair 5W30
KV100 = 10.93 cSt
HTHS = 3.2 cP

M1 5W30
KV100 = 11.0 cSt
HTHS = 3.1 cP

Many oils are very similar as the rules of making a well formulated SN, GF-5, Dexos1 oil doesn't allow much deviation in certain parameters. For me the highest HTHS for the least KV100 I think often reflects a well designed product where base oils do more of the heavy lifting and so less VII polymers are required. This Sinclair Dexos stands out to me as a good product in a field of very similar products, I personally would go a little out of my way to track it down.

Their mineral oils look fine too, they don't catch my eye as much, but nothing wrong with them - a good product. Whoever makes their oil knows what they are doing if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back