VW Beetle 2.0 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor's daughter drives a VW Beetle, 2.0L non-turbo engine. It threw a code for the coolant temp sensor, and she drove it like that for a couple of weeks. The neighbor also reports that the car burned/lost 2 qts of oil during that time...is there a relationship between the two or have they just been bad about checking the oil level?

The sensor was replaced a couple of days ago, so at least that's dealt with.

Without coolant sensor (or when its broken) engine runs really rich (at least EURO VW's, some engines so rich that they wont start some tempatures), so there is possible extra gasoline in oil... That aint good thing.

Last edited:
Having had the same problem in my Dodge Journey recently I know it was running extremely rich when the coolant sensor failed. I was using about 20% more fuel. I'm sure this could have caused the oil from the cylinder walls to be washed away and lead to oil consumption. Now that the sensor has been replaced it should get better or stop all together.

I bought a 2000 Golf 2.0 5 spd with a bad CTS. My scangauge said that the coolant was always 192 degrees C even after sitting overnight and having to brush snow off. It would take a few cranks to start and I fixed it pretty quickly but it ran ok from what I remembered. There was no real diff other than faster starts after I replaced it. I cannot remember if it consumed any oil but I probably would have noted any excessive level of oil consumption.

I'm assuming that is is a MK4 Beetle.

Last edited:
Cooling fan failures are very common with these as is the fan control module under the L/front (bolts can be got from near battery box). Do not use the OE fans new or used, they are prone to seizure, go with aftermarket.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Having had the same problem in my Dodge Journey recently I know it was running extremely rich when the coolant sensor failed. I was using about 20% more fuel. I'm sure this could have caused the oil from the cylinder walls to be washed away and lead to oil consumption. Now that the sensor has been replaced it should get better or stop all together.

Stevie, did this have anything to do with the high oil temps you were seeing?
I think you said that a similar vehicle in your family ran at oil temps that seemed high to some of us (~250F?), but just curious here.

This family is so nice, but there's not a bit of mechanical aptitude in the whole bunch. The girl's father told me the other day that when he was first driving, his dad told him to check the oil level regularly in whatever beater was was driving...and he checked the transmission level, not knowing the difference. He eventually fried the engine.

Prob direct them to a good indy shop that can service the car regularly. As in every 6 mos for oil change and inspections. Will save them a ton over the long term.

Whats wrong with a VW? Like any other car they have some little quirks and issues but they are generally durable, reliable and super easy to fix, the parts don't cost the world either.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Whats wrong with a VW? Like any other car they have some little quirks and issues but they are generally durable, reliable and super easy to fix, the parts don't cost the world either.

Did they ever go to lug nuts or are they still using bolts to fasten the wheels on ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Did they ever go to lug nuts or are they still using bolts to fasten the wheels on ?

Heh, nope still lug bolts on my 2017.
laugh.gif

Cincy,

Some non-turbo 2.0's burn oil. You have to wonder what the previous maintenance is since they're not really car people. Could be anything they put in there. I've known places to put 5w20 in VW's...

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: StevieC

Stevie, did this have anything to do with the high oil temps you were seeing?
I think you said that a similar vehicle in your family ran at oil temps that seemed high to some of us (~250F?), but just curious here.

No the oil temperatures were afterward.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Delta
Heh, nope still lug bolts on my 2017.
laugh.gif

Probably cuts down on wheel thefts. I try to look on the bright side of things.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Bolts. They make for easy rotor removal, remove the rear bolt flip the caliper up and remove the rotor. No studs means you can angle it right out without removing the caliper bracket.
2x long studs for guides lines the wheel up and holds it while you put the other bolts in, no big deal.

!980 VW Rabbit. Weird vehicle. Still using point ignition but with fuel injection. No radiator drain, remove hose (pita).Radio was not powered through the key switch so easy to leave on and drain battery. Track was too narrow so very difficult to drive on snow packed, rutted roads(and it snowed a lot in northwestern Colorado. Snap ring groove in gear shifter too shallow and shifter would flop around but not engage squat. Engine oil pressure was so high that SW 0-80 psig gauge bourdon tube straightened out.That Rabbit rated right up there at the top for sorriest vehicle ever purchased. 1966 Dodge Dart V8 special ordered with four speed manual and disc brakes was #1.Assembled by Hamtramck monkeys. Actually, monkeys could have done a better assembly job.

The coolest car in my high school's parking lot was my 1980 Volkswagen Scirocco S. That car was incredible. It wasn't perfect and I did have to carry a can of wire dryer in the hatch for days that the distributor would get wet but otherwise it was a great car. It was based on the Rabbit (Golf) A1 which wasn't perfect but was certainly in line with what was available at the time. It had a special 5-speed manual transmission which was different from the regular 4-speed and it had a cool front air dam. They came in black, red or white and I had the black one. Ahhh, times were great back then.
smile.gif

I like VW's, I've owned several, all the way back to the rusty $300 1969 Beetle I used to deliver pizzas in the early 80s, but I had a less-than-stellar experience with a 2000 Beetle turbo I bought new for my then wife which started falling apart almost immediately and in the interest of neighborly accord, tried to idiot-proof the process with something Asian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back