Compressor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read various postings in many locations but they are not current in oil recommendations because non-detergent multi grade oils for cold environments are not to be found.
It's in the mid 40s (F) out here (and headed down) and the compressor pops it's circuit breaker trying to start it.
I hate to buy a new oilless compressor but it's that or use a detergent, perhaps synthetic, oil to get in the 5w30 or 0w30 range.
The Emglo manual says 30W or 5W30, bith non-detergent. Thirty weight means no compressor use for the winter unless I concoct a heater.
Any suggestions?

My compressor sets in my unheated garage. I use the semi-synthetic oil from Lowes and add a few oz of M1 10-30. Starts very well in extreme cold. 10 to 15F no problems.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, good old Mobil 1 automotive oil is recommended in many compressors. I use in in my Porter-Cable compressor. 15 years of daily use, no issues.

It's not uncommon for Northerners to use 0W-20 synthetic in garden variety compressors with very good results and easy starting.

Don't believe the claims that oil with detergents are going to foam, or that they are going to absorb too much water, or that suspended particulates cause wear. There are industrial high volume units that can have deposits from using the wrong oil. That's no concern for the typical small shop compressor.

Again, Mobil 1 is recommended by manufacturers of many very conventional air compressors.

I use Royal Purple Compressor oil, as per a recommendation here a few years back. I have two compressors in an unheated garage, and the RP oil stopped my 15 gallon craftsman compressor from tripping the circuit breaker in the cold. The 220 V 60 gallon machine works effortlessly in the cold with that oil.

I been running muti-grade automotive oil in home and shop compressors since the 1970's. Yeah, I know in an ideal world ... But, in the real world if you change once a year, they seem to last for ever. Easy starting too
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Beem
I've read various postings in many locations but they are not current in oil recommendations because non-detergent multi grade oils for cold environments are not to be found.
It's in the mid 40s (F) out here (and headed down) and the compressor pops it's circuit breaker trying to start it.
I hate to buy a new oilless compressor but it's that or use a detergent, perhaps synthetic, oil to get in the 5w30 or 0w30 range.
The Emglo manual says 30W or 5W30, bith non-detergent. Thirty weight means no compressor use for the winter unless I concoct a heater.
Any suggestions?

I use Shell Rotella 15W40 in my three compressors and they are fine.:)

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Believe it or not, good old Mobil 1 automotive oil is recommended in many compressors.

Same here.

15W-50 is all my oil compressors, and have been doing so for over 20 years.

I never could figure out the recommendation for non-detergent oil.

I change it once it starts to get a little darker than new in the sight glass (about every 2 years)

Is the Harbor Freight compressor oil any good? It says made in the USA. I just bought my first compressor which is the 29 gallon 2 HP one. What would be a good oil to run in the motor? Something that would allow use in very cold temps and also hot weather?

Last edited:
Quincy has this to say..

Quote:
Factors to Consider When Choosing Air Compressor Pump Oil

When choosing an air compressor oil, the first thing to consider is the compressor’s oil viscosity requirements. An SAE 30 weight oil is recommended for compressors that operate in conditions where the temperature ranges from 34° to 100° F. An SAE 20 weight oil is the better choice for colder conditions. Other factors to consider include:

Ability to protect against rust and corrosion
High oxidation stability, which helps to maintain viscosity and extend oil service life
Ability to shed water (demulsibility)
Whether it can be sufficiently filtered without depleting essential lubricant additives

While you should use your manufacturer’s specifications as a guide, choosing an oil that exceeds the minimum specs can result in better performance and, ultimately, longer compressor equipment life.

Redline Polycomp 20w is a good choice for home compressors that see cold weather use.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=RL006

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quincy has this to say..

Quote:
Factors to Consider When Choosing Air Compressor Pump Oil

When choosing an air compressor oil, the first thing to consider is the compressor’s oil viscosity requirements. An SAE 30 weight oil is recommended for compressors that operate in conditions where the temperature ranges from 34° to 100° F. An SAE 20 weight oil is the better choice for colder conditions. Other factors to consider include:

Ability to protect against rust and corrosion
High oxidation stability, which helps to maintain viscosity and extend oil service life
Ability to shed water (demulsibility)
Whether it can be sufficiently filtered without depleting essential lubricant additives

While you should use your manufacturer’s specifications as a guide, choosing an oil that exceeds the minimum specs can result in better performance and, ultimately, longer compressor equipment life.

Redline Polycomp 20w is a good choice for home compressors that see cold weather use.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=RL006

How well would the 20w do in summer? Thanks!

Unless the thing is running longer cycles on a regular basis (30 min or more) it will run fine on synthetic 20w. unlike a car engine there is no combustion that generates a lot of heat, these are usually splash oiled up to about 7.5 HP and use roller or ball bearing on the crank so its not hard to lube it.

I have been using Amsoil's ISO 46 in winter and the ISO 100 in summer. The 46 is more of an SAE 20 and the ISO 100 is more of an SAE 30 or 40. Has been working for me for 15 years.

What would be better for year round protection, Ingersol Rand synthetic or Mobil 1 0w30? This would be in a 2 HP Harbor Freight 29gal compressor. Thanks!

I got my compressor used, with a rebuilt pump, because some rube put motor oil in it and it gummed up the valves in the head. Whether you'll get away with it depends on many factors.
Originally Posted By: Beem

Multi-weight non-detergent compressor oil is available, widely even, though not always widely available at a great price. It's your compressor, do what you want with it. But don't claim the right stuff isn't out there.

This is a synthetic blend: https://www.amazon.com/PowerMate-Vx-0180063SP-Weather-Compressor/dp/B01I5RCVSI

Mobil 1 Rarus, full synthetic: https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-1-Oil-Air-Compressor/dp/B009OXFE0A

Royal Purple: https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-Performance-Synthetic-Compressor/dp/B000BRTCIS

Straight 30/ISO-100: https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-ISO-100-Detergent-Compressor-Lubricant/dp/B072LXNYJN

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
What would be better for year round protection, Ingersol Rand synthetic or Mobil 1 0w30? This would be in a 2 HP Harbor Freight 29gal compressor. Thanks!

I would use the IR oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back