Are Bando belts stretchy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My go to belts are Mitsuboshi, Bando and Gates (from Unitta plant only). Just installed a Bando accessory belt on 07 Subaru OB that drives ps and alternator. Have adjusted tension twice and still get a short squeal on cold startup. Seems like belt should be tensioned enough. My BIL was a master tech who owned his own garage for many decades. He said that particular Subaru application requires a highly tensioned belt and that Bando belts are too stretchy to work. He calls them rubber bands. He says use a Mitsuboshi which is what came on the car from factory.

I found one other thread here where someone had trouble getting enough tension on a Bando belt accessory belt which seems to corroborate what BIL says. What is your experience with Bando belts? On timing belts and serpentine belts with automatic tensioners, maybe stretchy Bando belts are ok, but not so much with a manual tensioner.

Last edited:
I don't have any of these brands' characteristics down but I do know that seeking accessory belts for the 5 Saabs in my sphere resulted in AMAZING, STUNNING, MIND-BLOWING variations in quality.

So a "Bando" belt, or any other, being stretchy comes as NO SURPRISE.

How do you source belts from Gates Unitta plant only? Where is Unitta?

I have never owned a vehicle that required the belts to be stretched excessively.

Maybe your pulleys are getting worn?

Originally Posted By: Kira
I don't have any of these brands' characteristics down but I do know that seeking accessory belts for the 5 Saabs in my sphere resulted in AMAZING, STUNNING, MIND-BLOWING variations in quality.

So a "Bando" belt, or any other, being stretchy comes as NO SURPRISE.

How do you source belts from Gates Unitta plant only? Where is Unitta?

Unitta was a Japanese company bought by Gates or maybe just a JV with Gates, not sure about the specific financial arrangement. Gates Unitta belts are mostly OEM only. If you get one aftermarket it is only luck as you can not specify COO when buying Gates belts.

All I can say is Bando serpentine belts on auto tensioners for my all applications have had no problems. They are my go to OEM replacements.

Most belts will need a tweek or two. I never used Bando but I will never get another Gates. Every one has squeeked or squeeled. I never had problems with Dayco or Goodyear which I think goes by another name.Maybe there is a contaiminant on a pulley and retensioning temporarily quiets it.

Last edited:
In my formerly owned 04 Sienna, the Mitsuboshi was the only one that works for P/S belt.
The Gates was squeeling badly everytime it starts.
I usually have good experience with Gates but not for the Toyota.

Belts are hit and miss depending on application.

We use belts on the engine and on our truck powered cleaning equipment. The eqpt mfgr always recommended Bando for years and has now switched to some imported belt.

Draw your own conclusions...

I have a cold morning squeak on my 08 Accord with original belt, 99k miles, don't know which brand in there but Bando belt (after market) is ordered. Will see how it works out.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I have never owned a vehicle that required the belts to be stretched excessively.

Maybe your pulleys are getting worn?

Hopefully not at 91k miles.

I have 2 Bando belts on my Accord (manual tensioners). They developed a morning chirp after a hundred miles which a quick re-tightening took care of. Still nice and quiet now after 30k miles.

I also had issues adjusting belt tension on my Elantra with Bando belts...

Bando is used from factory, but they do seem they strech a bit over a few weeks.
Alternator belt started to squeal badly when cold/humid outside, re-tightening a 2nd time did the job.

82kmiles on the car, 60kmiles for the engine, nothing unusual to note about the pulleys.

Just replaced an OEM Bando in my Mitsubishi, was squeaking at startup, even after re-tightening.
Replaced by an Italian made Denso, far less stretchy (but the Bando was 3 y.o and like 50000Km), so far no noise, even with less tension.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
In my formerly owned 04 Sienna, the Mitsuboshi was the only one that works for P/S belt.
The Gates was squeeling badly everytime it starts.
I usually have good experience with Gates but not for the Toyota.

I have a Gates as the water pump belt on a Prius and it seems to work fine. I have a Bando for the PS belt and Gates for the alt/AC belt - both are doing fine, Gates feels a bit more rigid than Bando but I do need to tighten the PS belt a touch.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Just replaced an OEM Bando in my Mitsubishi, was squeaking at startup, even after re-tightening.
Replaced by an Italian made Denso, far less stretchy (but the Bando was 3 y.o and like 50000Km), so far no noise, even with less tension.

I had those same issues as well, on my Mitsubishi. I have Bando belts on the PS, ALT and A/C since April that came with a timing belt kit. I used Bando a while ago on the same vehicle and remember having issues with squealing and sometimes my A/C light would flash and I wouldn't have these issues with Dayco Poly-V belts.

Thanks for all replies. BIL said ps/alt belt was too loose. I tensioned to his liking and expressed concern re alt bearing. He just laughed and said no way a stretchy Bando belt will ever hurt the alternator bearing.

Looks like putting a Bando belt on a manually tensioned system is not a good idea.

I used Bando in my grandma's Kia Spectra with manual tensioner and they are working well.

I Have had tension issues after new belts on cars with manual tensioners. I like to install the new belts, tension , run for a bit and re tension.

Originally Posted By: artbuc

Looks like putting a Bando belt on a manually tensioned system is not a good idea.

If it was a problem, Toyota/Honda/Subaru would specify Mitsuboshi or Gates/Unitta in their aftermarket service. I've used Bando 3 times on cars with manual belt tension. No noise issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back