Best ad blocker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new computer and wanted to know which blocker is the best. I had one on my old computer that blocked utube ads and was really good, but can't remember what it was. Thanks.

Ad Blocker Plus (ABP) seems to work good for me. It's the default ad blocker used in Maxthon browser, but lately I'm using Chrome. ABP is available as an Extension for Chrome and I'm using it in Chrome now. Seems effective.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Ad Blocker Plus (ABP) seems to work good for me. It's the default ad blocker used in Maxthon browser, but lately I'm using Chrome. ABP is available as an Extension for Chrome and I'm using it in Chrome now. Seems effective.

+1

Its awesome if you watch youtube vids or music.

Adblock Plus for past several years has been excellent. Prior to this the ones I used let stuff in all the time. Using Firefox browser.

I use the Opera browser. It has an ad-blocker built in and works great. I switched from Chrome and Opera is a lot less invasive.

Adblock Plus doesn’t block all ads, but rather operates what it calls an “acceptable ads” program, where ads that meet its criteria for things like placement, size, and distinction, are “whitelisted”—that is, if the company displaying the ads is willing to split the revenue gained by whitelisting with Adblock Plus. Companies can apply to have their sites whitelisted, but Adblock Plus has also reached out to some to solicit their business.

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/heres-how-that-adblocker-youre-using-makes-money/

We use uBlock Origin on all tablets and phones and browsers

I like Privacy Badger in FireFox
smile.gif

Even the standard AdBlock works wonders. Its programmable and I haven't seen ads for ages. When I am on other computers I don't own I am amazed at the ad pollution I never see.

The best add blocker is the one that coordinates with your browser the best. If you go to your browser's website, they'll have an add blocker extension that they recommend.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I use the Opera browser. It has an ad-blocker built in and works great. I switched from Chrome and Opera is a lot less invasive.

+1 I love the Opera browser and their ad blocker works wonderfully. I never went back to Firefox or Chrome after Opera.

Originally Posted By: henni
Adblock Plus doesn’t block all ads, but rather operates what it calls an “acceptable ads” program, where ads that meet its criteria for things like placement, size, and distinction, are “whitelisted”—that is, if the company displaying the ads is willing to split the revenue gained by whitelisting with Adblock Plus. Companies can apply to have their sites whitelisted, but Adblock Plus has also reached out to some to solicit their business.

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/heres-how-that-adblocker-youre-using-makes-money/

We use uBlock Origin on all tablets and phones and browsers

Yep, when this came out I stopped using adblock. I think they also sold browsing data (but i might remember that wrong).

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger

Me 2. From time to time I find websites the won't let me in unless I shut it off. Opera is an excellent browser.

Just keep in mind that most of them sell your information. if you are concerned about your privacy, don't use Internet.

I would second Privacy Badger recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back