Fleetguard LF3947 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
i thought the lf3947 was supposed to be a stratapore filter. it does not say stratapore anywhere on it and it does not look like a stratapore element. different line of filter from fleetguard or possible fake?

All signs point to a Champ Labs made filter. Champ thread end bypass design used on many M1 and FoMoCo 'factory filters'. Champ uses louvered centertube too and what I can see of yellow date code looks like Champ Labs too. Same adbv design and leaf spring design used on some Champ Labs made filters like the FoMoCo factory filters. And the stamped M on baseplate is found on some Champ made filters like STP blue.

FoMoCo Factory Filter

Can't tell you if 'all' Fleetguard are supposed to be stratapore, but apparently this one isn't. Given the choice, don't think it's fake, just a different line.

Looks like it got the job done.

2006 ram 2500. 3k mi. run on supertech 5synthetic 5w30

Doesn't seem like it caught nearly the amount of dirt as my last run with wix 51515 did

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: italian68
2006 ram 2500. 3k mi. run on supertech 5synthetic 5w30

Doesn't seem like it caught nearly the amount of dirt as my last run with wix 51515 did

That's a pretty short OCI for Synthetic if you last OCI was also Synthetic you may have already clean a lot of junk out of your engine. Were both those OCI's the same duration or close?

Definitely looks different than the strapore application for the Cummins diesel, I’ve cut mine open and the spring was coiled not the leaf spring type.

While it may not be an FG Stratopore/micro glass, IMO it looks to be a well made filter. Based on this one, I'd have no concerns about running one, in fact I'd do so with confidence.

As for the comparative appearance of particles caught, not much science to that. Mostly subjective. And at 3k mile oci/fci about what one would expect in appearance with well maintained engine. ST Synthetic and this filter easily good for 5k+ mile ocis. Your call though.

As reference Donaldson too sells another similar to topic filter line besides it's full synthetic filter line.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
All signs point to a Champ Labs made filter. Champ thread end bypass design used on many M1 and FoMoCo 'factory filters'. Champ uses louvered centertube too and what I can see of yellow date code looks like Champ Labs too.

How odd.... never thought Fleetguard would sub out to Champ Labs?

Any guesses on what efficiency the filter media is?

No idea of efficiency. Perhaps an email to them might provide some information. Though reading their website seems a vague meets or exceeds oem specs.

As for the topic application being made by Champ Labs, for all the reasons listed in first post here, I'd put my confidence in the upper 90% that it is accurate. All of them have including but not limited to the stamped M on baseplate have been posted on this subforum in the past.

Edit. Seeing the added mention of LuberFiner, LF is noted as a Champ Labs filter brand on their website.

http://www.champlabs.com/brands/

Last edited:

Edit. Seeing the added mention of LuberFiner, LF is noted as a Champ Labs filter brand on their website.

Yes, that is established.

But........... this is a FleetGuard -
a filter that typically costs a bit more than Luber Finer and is supposed to have media similar (or identical to) the Donaldson Synteq media.

Originally Posted By: daman
A stratapore filter will say "stratapore".. on the filter

Yes..... but these are supposed to be "Microglass" media, not paper.

While it may not be an FG Stratopore/micro glass, IMO it looks to be a well made filter. Based on this one, I'd have no concerns about running one, in fact I'd do so with confidence.

It does make a difference when you think you are paying extra for Synteq media, but get paper instead.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
No idea of efficiency. Perhaps an email to them might provide some information. Though reading their website seems a vague meets or exceeds oem specs. As for the topic application being made by Champ Labs, for all the reasons listed in first post here, I'd put my confidence in the upper 90% that it is accurate.

100% efficient at 30 microns according to this site:

https://puredieselpower.com/class-8-products/fleetguard-oil-filter-lf3947.html

grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
lol.gif

The LF16035 & LF3894 are the Fleetguard Stratapore filters for the 5.9 & 6.7 Cummins (the 16035 has the end flutes for ease of removal, the 3894 is the smooth one). If you're only running 3K, the cellulose one would be plenty good enough-but , if you want a better one, Baldwin makes a max performance glass one, the B7311-MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back