So Lame, Apple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y_K

This latest 'vulnerability' that came out with root password being blank is beyond astonishing.
Do the test anything at all in Cupertino? Repackaging good, old UNIX for so many years and learning nothing in the process?

Originally Posted By: Y_K
This latest 'vulnerability' that came out with root password being blank is beyond astonishing.

Ummmmm.... Post a link or something?

I have slowly grown to hate the idiots at apple.

Apple died with Steve Jobs. End of story.

When his health took a turn so did their products... It's been lack luster and full of bugs since then.

Last edited:
It so happened that anyone with *physical* access to your already-logged-into system on the latest macOS could escalate their intrusion into your system to admin level by initiating some function that required root privileges. It was not remotely executable (unless you had screen sharing enabled and an attacker was somehow able to guess that password) and setting a root password nullified the vulnerability; as has Apple's update for the OS.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
It so happened that anyone with *physical* access to your already-logged-into system on the latest macOS could escalate their intrusion into your system to admin level by initiating some function that required root privileges. It was not remotely executable (unless you had screen sharing enabled and an attacker was somehow able to guess that password) and setting a root password nullified the vulnerability; as has Apple's update for the OS.

If anyone is foolish enough to let others use their devices when they are logged in then they will learn the lesson the hard way.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I remember when the Administrator password for XP was blank....

The most common screen for XP was the BSOD.

I enjoyed seeing that BSOD on many different things like Airport Arrival/Departure screens etc.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I remember when the Administrator password for XP was blank....

Noooo, that was Windows 98 or perhaps the even more maligned Windows ME. That OS inspired the meme "your mouse has moved, please restart your computer to continue".
grin.gif

Noooo, that was Windows 98 or perhaps the even more maligned Windows ME. That OS inspired the meme "your mouse has moved, please restart your computer to continue".
grin.gif

I remember 98 being okay, ME was horrendous.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

grin.gif

I remember 98 being okay, ME was horrendous.

98 was so good they had to re-release it after they fixed a pile of the problems, hence Windows 98SE, LOL!

I was one of the beta testers for 98. To say it wasn't ready when it went gold would be a massive understatement.

They did the same with Windows 95. OSR2. I can't begin to tell you how many times I installed that operating system. Legally of course.
wink.gif

It's not only that it was blank, it's the fact that you were able to enable the account after so many attempts. So, on a syscal level they simply ignored the obvious. On top of that, a user had to belong to wheel group in good, old BSD - this tells me they cut corners big time, what they call OS is not even a hybrid any more, it's a crowd of castrati.

They did the same with Windows 95. OSR2. I can't begin to tell you how many times I installed that operating system. Legally of course.
wink.gif

95a was basically the initial bug fix or "Service Pack" (though not an official term for non-NT OS's), whilst 95B/OSR2 was a major update that included support for FAT32, UDMA, Firewire, Intel's MMX instruction set....etc. It was more of a feature update rather than a "holy [censored] we released junk we better fix it update" like SE was to Windows 98 IMHO LOL
grin.gif

There were of course further supplements to OSR2 like the USB supplement and 2.1 and 2.5, the last which put us at 95C.

Pretty sure I have A, B and C all kicking around the house somewhere
smile.gif

I don't remember 95 being as unstable as Windows 98 was prior to the SE version. But I do remember Windows ME being markedly worse than both of them in that regard, LOL!

ME philosophy: Let's take the newly minted Windows NT5 GUI, slap it on top of Windows 98 and put in a whole pile of untested junk that we'll never fix and release it! It was complete and utter garbage, the worst OS Microsoft has ever released by a wide margin.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

No, that was "windowsME' ..... worst OS in the history of Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back