John Cena sued by Ford for selling the '17 GT...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford should have let the dealerships dictate the price completely on their own by market forces, the way Chrysler overprices Vipers, and then none of this would have been an issue.
wink.gif

Knowing it is a limited run and knowing Fair Market Value is north of $500k (evidenced by 2 yr hold on resale), why didn't Ford price the car higher initially to avoid the inevitable "flippers" or potential dealer "gouging" ?

Last edited:
This is from the Daily Mail, the king of fake news in England. I wouldn’t believe much of what is written there.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I just can't see an F150 V6 powered Corvette being worth $500K.

Ford put their truck engine in the back of the car, for starters. The Ford isn't an old man's car, for another.
21.gif

Why would anyone have signed such a contract? He should have told them in the first place just were to put that contract. I'm pretty sure he will beat this in court he bought it this isn't a rental.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Why would anyone have signed such a contract? He should have told them in the first place just were to put that contract. I'm pretty sure he will beat this in court he bought it this isn't a rental.

Pretty sure every Ford GT sale would be the same. Many car companies do this on "speculative" type cars.

I really doubt he will win.

Last edited:
Yeah, if it's legit, he'd probably lose. Be interesting to see what's in the contract though, he could have done something like a sub-lease or a rent to own. Then he gets paid up front and transfers ownership after 2 years.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Knowing it is a limited run and knowing Fair Market Value is north of $500k (evidenced by 2 yr hold on resale), why didn't Ford price the car higher initially to avoid the inevitable "flippers" or potential dealer "gouging" ?

because a halo car or halo item is not about profit it is about promoting the brand and letting semi ordinary people have a chance at it. they spin that more here by picking influencers

if they were about maximizing 1 time profit and let the market dictate the price all the cars would just be owned by oligarchs, investors thst would just put the csr in storage, and oil princes and would never be seen by the general public. When seen it would be thought of just as a toy that only rich dbags have versus something a regular person wishes they had. It is underlying signalling.

for a better analogy, nike and other fancy sneakers are the same thing. everyone has a chance to own fancy nikes if you go line up. Nike limit supply and purposely price them lower than market. If they priced it properly at like 2000, no ordinary people could get it, only rich people, and then all the ordinary people would turn on thst peoduct with scorn.
They could also easily just pump up the factory and make more shoes but don't do that either.
Overall the brand marketting gains are worth more than the revenue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ethan1

Ford put their truck engine in the back of the car, for starters. The Ford isn't an old man's car, for another.
21.gif

I clearly get your point. However, the 'vettes remain remarkably competitive. Even with their front engine/rear drive configuration.

As far as a Corvette being an old mans car, I resemble that remark....

I see both sides on this. On one hand Ford tried something to prevent people from buying a very limited car, and selling to the highest bidder right after. On the other if I buy something its mine and I'll do what I want with it.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
This is from the Daily Mail, the king of fake news in England. I wouldn’t believe much of what is written there.

^^^^ X2, although the Sun is a worthy contender.

If Ford didn't want anyone selling their car for two years why didn't they lease them?.

Claud.

Why would anyone sign such a contract? Pay big money for the car yet you cannot sell it for two years? Circumstances change as they apparently have for JC. Ford may win the case but lose their reputation to the people.

I predict a settlement before it goes to court.

I think what you meant to say, is that you don't like a race car priced at 500k that uses the same block as the general 3.5 ecoboost engine that they somehow made street legal and made(are making) 500-1000 of. Got it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back