My dog had two seizures tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
My poor "middle child", a 9 year old mini schnauzer had 2 seizures tonight. They lasted about 4-5 minutes each. She is on an anti-convulsant that has been tapered down, guess it's time to bump it back up again. Do any of you fur babies suffer from seizures?

Originally Posted By: madRiver
My dog as a child did in elderly years (10-12 for him). Not pretty but came too and wagged his tail when name called.

Sorry a little tangential, do you live in the Mad River Valley/area? I used to see Dr. Karen Anderson there, and knew her outside of her practice, too. Fantastic DVM.

Last edited:
What kind of food are you using? My shiba had several seizures and someone told me to change to grain free food. I went with a grain free Merrick brand and she hasnt had one since.

We have a three year old Yorkie that has had about five since April. Most of them related to his blood sugar being either too low or too high. We've had to alter his diet. They last about three to five minutes as well.

Last edited:
Mine recently had a focal seizure. She is 2 and a half yrs old. I took her to both a normal med vet and a holistic vet. Both blamed the heartguard med I was giving her which she also got the morning of the seizure. Also the holistic vet gave me magnesium supplement and a vit e to give to her daily and did acupuncture on her. No seizure since then.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Make sure your dog hasn't gotten into the chocolate. Eating chocolate can cause seizures in dogs.

Irreversible damage from what I understand too.

What medication is your dog on?? And DO NOT up the dose without speaking to a real Vet first. Animals weighing 10 kilograms or less it takes very, very little change in med dosing to be problematic.

I hope that your dog gets much better soon Greg. Feel bad for ya.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
What medication is your dog on?? And DO NOT up the dose without speaking to a real Vet first. Animals weighing 10 kilograms or less it takes very, very little change in med dosing to be problematic.

Yeah, take your dog to vet. Your pooch needs medical attention.

We had a Border Collie / Sheppard mix and he used to have seizures and be on meds. We tried all sorts of stuff to try and keep them from happening weekly. We then switched him to a high quality food that was high in Omega-3's that was high protein and higher crude fat that was grain free and it made the world of difference. After a few short months of being on this food his seizures went from weekly to about every 6 months. He lived for 17 years and was an amazing dog.

Good luck.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Obviously, take your pup to the vet. One of our pup began throwing small seizures (snapping at flies and chewing air). We removed all gluten, wheat, and grains from his diet and they went away. Your pup probably has an allergy.

I'm quite familiar with the condition. My collie has seizures and is on a couple meds (phenobarbitol, KBr). We've tried Keppra and Zonisimide with no effect. Fortunately he usually only has focal/partial seizures most of the time, but will have the GM type 2 or 3 times a year (had one yesterday, in fact).

One thing to consider is adding MCT (Medium Chain Tryiglyceride) oil to his diet. A veterinary neurological study showed improvement (not elimination) of seizure activity with a ketogenic diet and a diet high in MCT's. Purina prescription now has "neuro-care" available through vets - it's basic low quality purina food with MCT added. I started using MCT oil (derived from coconuts) since April and the seizure frequency has basically been cut in half. The oil is inexpensive and available on Amazon (I add about 2 teaspoons to his evening meal).

Some have used CBD oil (cannibus oil) with mixed results. Also, one medication we haven't tried yet is gabapentin which appears to be effective in some dogs.

It's bad condition to have to deal with. Obviously for the pet (cats can have it too) but for the owners. It can be stressful watching/waiting for the next one to occur. My biggest concern is being away when a GM occurs. My dog becomes very disoriented and uncoordinated for a while after the convulsions and I fear he'll injure himself falling down or bumping into things.

Had a lab mix that did that a couple of times, and she always did it when she was on stairs, so she'd fall down the stairs and land against the wall with a thud...had our undivided attention. She was a young adult at the time, had only a couple and it never happened again. That dog lived to be 13ish.

Both of our Cocker Spaniels have/had seizures. Our current pooch (14 years) has been on phenobarbital for quite a few years and he maybe gets a mild one every 12-18 months or so. Seems to happen more in the summer months when the barometer takes a huge swing. Hope you dog is ok.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

She has had regular check up's. The dose was titrated down, just going to titrate back up to original dose. The vet is ok with this.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
frown.gif
I hope she gets better soon

Thanks, we love her and hate to see her go through them. Thankfully they haven't seemed to cause any long term damage. She has had them since she was a youngster.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Make sure your dog hasn't gotten into the chocolate. Eating chocolate can cause seizures in dogs.

Irreversible damage from what I understand too.

I wouldn't think so. Probably predisposed in some way (birth trauma perhaps, genetic, who knows what). Meanwhile, just stop the chocolate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back