I'm shrinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
When I first got my driver's license at 16, I was 5'9" tall and I didn't measure my height again until I was in my mid 30s and I was 5'8" tall then. Just yesterday I measured my height again, and I'm now only 5'7" tall, I'm a week away from my 48th birthday. How many others on here have tracked the progress of their "shrinking" and did you lose 2 inches in height by my age?

My BMI calculator says I should be 7’-2” …
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
My BMI calculator says I should be 7’-2” …
wink.gif

grin.gif
Yeah I need a bit of stretching too!
I don't think I'm shrinking yet but I haven't really been keeping track that closely.

Patman, disc compression in your back maybe? I'm a whole 1" shorter since I had 3 discs blow out on me with my back injury.
grin2.gif

When I registered for the draft at 18 in 1970, I was 6’4” tall and weighed 175 lbs. 3 months ago during a doctors visit I was still 6’4” tall. However my weight has changed!
wink.gif

I used to be 5'5" tall in teens and 20's , then early 30's 5'4 3/4 inches, then at 47 5'3 and 1/2. I did inversion for long time every day and got back about 1/2 inch.

Last edited:
I was 6' 1 3/4" by the most accurate measurement when I was around 20 and closer to 6'1" now at just past 50.
I know that weight training used to shrink me a bit temporarily, on the heaviest squat I ever did I just cleared the brackets with the bar and then I couldn't quite get back over them after a few reps. I was all alone in the gym and started to freak out, finally I decided to try to jump just a bit while also lunging forward to clear myself of the rack if I lost the bar. I got the bar back in place and wasn't so excited about maxing out my squat after that.

Last edited:
Dropped from 5 10 to 5 8 1/2
I have sort of stabilized by back exercises. Best one is rubber chord pulling apart in front of me. W working skeptics. Also pull down machine and Phillips if you can. Even I f you can't it helps. Go to the gym and see a trainer.

You can't stop the spine from settling but maintaining posture helps

Last edited:
OP,

With the amount of height loss you've experienced at your age you might want to consider getting a bone density test.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Patman, disc compression in your back maybe? I'm a whole 1" shorter since I had 3 discs blow out on me with my back injury.
grin2.gif

I've never had any serious back issues, so I don't think it's that. I'm still not 100% sure that I ever was 5'9" tall though (perhaps the person at the license bureau didn't measure me correctly when I got my license?), but I do know that 5 or 10 years ago I was just a tick over 5'8"

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: StevieC
grin2.gif

I've never had any serious back issues, so I don't think it's that. I'm still not 100% sure that I ever was 5'9" tall though (perhaps the person at the license bureau didn't measure me correctly when I got my license?), but I do know that 5 or 10 years ago I was just a tick over 5'8"

Mine is the results of blown discs, but normal people have disc compression as they age... Sorry I could have explained it better.

My drivers license has me listed as 178cm. I'm currently a tick over 177cm so I've lost a bit. I'm in my 50's. My father who's in his 80's has lost significant height, ~3 inches. Since I'm more physically active than he was at my age, hopefully that's in my favour. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back