Not open for further replies.
XG4967a.jpg

Note this is a SMALL filter

XG4967b.jpg

XG4967c.jpg

XG4967d.jpg

XG4967e.jpg

XG4967f.jpg

As usual UOA in the mail, media drying out.

Nice! I put one of those on my echo.
11,000kms on it so far. Another 5k or so to go.

Does that XG8A have the same size gasket? That would be a lifetime filter on the echo!

Ain't has small as the 6607
smile.gif

That's got it beat for sure. Very good job here Robert. You add a lot of good information/work here.

Another boring FU (a good thing) at a substantial fci. The shorty 4967 is the SAE thread equivalent of the metric 6607. Not many cases in my observation where the longer but otherwise same specs 4386 and 7317 respectively won't fit too. Also noticed the addition to the corner of the pics.
55.gif

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted By: car51
DuckRyder: filter looks very good. Thank You for c&p
smile.gif

You are welcome of course. Filter has more gunk (note use of highly technical term) in the bottom than expected but is a solid piece for sure and the gunk is the cars fault not the filter...

Originally Posted By: mcwilly
Nice! I put one of those on my echo.
11,000kms on it so far. Another 5k or so to go.

Does that XG8A have the same size gasket? That would be a lifetime filter on the echo!

I think the gasket is larger on the XG8A, I will check today, though I realize you are probably joking.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Looks like stout little filter for sure. Thanks for the C&P.

You are welcome of course. It is a nice filter.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The oil holes are very smooth,no burrs. They look very precisionly cut.

Yep, typical Fram tapping plate, nicely made with no rough edges.

Originally Posted By: Run
Can't go wrong with the Ultra. Thanks for sharing.

No problem on the sharing naturally . Fram definitely has a hit with the Ultra... I only have one complaint I’ll get to in a minute...

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Looks very good. Very tiny indeed.

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Ain't has small as the 6607
smile.gif

That's got it beat for sure. Very good job here Robert. You add a lot of good information/work here.

I was thinking that the 6607 was about the same size, I always get confused as to whether the Prius takes this on or the 6607 but the threads are different if that is the one I am thinking of...

I do try to add value, My pictures are not coming out as well as I would like lately - need to try to fix that... Thank You though.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Another boring FU (a good thing) at a substantial fci. The shorty 4967 is the SAE thread equivalent of the metric 6607. Not many cases in my observation where the longer but otherwise same specs 4386 and 7317 respectively won't fit too. Also noticed the addition to the corner of the pics.
55.gif

Thanks for c&p.

Welcome of course. A longer filter would in fact fit Toyota even sells a longer version under TRD guise. This was 2 OCI and intent is to run the new one at least this long with ~10,000 OCI vs factory recommended 5000. Thought you might like the corners.

Changing this filter reminds me why I detest the “SureGrip”. This filter is sort of up in a hole you can get your hand on it pretty easily, but exerting any actual force is another story entirely. It would be very very easy to change if you could get the cap wrench on it, but you can’t because of the SureGrip. It is pretty tight to get any sort of strap or plier type oil filter wrench up there (again getting it to grab the filter is one thing, actually turning it is quite another) which is why the filter is a bit mangled. I wish FPS were easier to get.

FRAM seems pretty fully committed to the SureGrip, but I wish they would stop. Clearly with the “PRO series” they have realized it may not be desirable and I would think that an ever increasing number of vehicles have access issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Changing this filter reminds me why I detest the “SureGrip”. This filter is sort of up in a hole you can get your hand on it pretty easily, but exerting any actual force is another story entirely.

Try not tightening it so much.

Most folks over-tighten their filters - - You'd be really surprised to see how loose they can get and still not leak.

Changing this filter reminds me why I detest the “SureGrip”. This filter is sort of up in a hole you can get your hand on it pretty easily, but exerting any actual force is another story entirely. It would be very very easy to change if you could get the cap wrench on it, but you can’t because of the SureGrip. It is pretty tight to get any sort of strap or plier type oil filter wrench up there (again getting it to grab the filter is one thing, actually turning it is quite another) which is why the filter is a bit mangled. I wish FPS were easier to get.

FRAM seems pretty fully committed to the SureGrip, but I wish they would stop. Clearly with the “PRO series” they have realized it may not be desirable and I would think that an ever increasing number of vehicles have access issues. [/quote]

Agree ~ when you don’t have a wide open space that coating can work against you. Worse for me is the Fusion Hybrid ~ in fact I just bought it the K&N for the 1” nut feature
27.gif

Originally Posted By: mcwilly

No, from the Fram site:
XG4967- 2.118/2.438
XG8- 2.422/2.797

The inner diameter of the XG8 is right at the outer diameter of the XG4967.
It is possible they could interchange, depending on the size of the mount on the vehicle (and enough space for the filter). Bypass is close (12 PSI on the XG8, 14 PSI on the XG4967).

FRAM seems pretty fully committed to the SureGrip, but I wish they would stop. Clearly with the “PRO series” they have realized it may not be desirable and I would think that an ever increasing number of vehicles have access issues.

That was one of my concerns with the Sureggrip (fitting my filter endcap wrench) and it works just fine with mine (PH2 size, a 93/15 fits fine).

2002 Ford F150: Havoline HM 5w-20, Ecogard Filter, 5k OCI

2012 Scion xB: QSUD 0w-20 syn, CQ Blue (Wix) Filter, 5k OCI

Every Fram I have seen has very sharp inlet holes, usually with small burs. Just don't understand the rose colored glasses. It's a product made by a company, what it is, it is. They have different geometry that avoids cutting the adbv, although some have impressions of the holes in them. The 4967 has a wide land for the adbv to seal on, others models don't, like the 3614. IMHO

The other thing easily seen here are the nubs on the end cap. All the oil flow has to go in that narrow gap the nubs provide. I would say that is more restrictive looking than inlet holes, just by eye. But it's surely calculated by the company, like the inlet holes. No one talks about the small gap for oil flow though on these filters.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The other thing easily seen here are the nubs on the end cap. All the oil flow has to go in that narrow gap the nubs provide. I would say that is more restrictive looking than inlet holes, just by eye. But it's surely calculated by the company, like the inlet holes. No one talks about the small gap for oil flow though on these filters.

Every filter I've cut open, or seen cut open here, regardless of brand, has what looks like a narrow gap betweem the can and end cap. Also, cutting the can with a cutting tool can roll the can edge and make the can look smaller in ID than actual.

"Nubs" on the end cap actually make it possible to increase that gap and still keep the element centered in the can. Keeping an even gap also helps ensure the oil flow distribution into the element is evened out. Nothing wrong with having nubs, it's a plus to the design IMO.

I may look for the cut open 3614 I had in the garage and measure the diameters. Talk is great but pics and numbers better. Beaten down fiber nubs don't center so great. End cap gap is as big a topic to oil flow as inlet hole size or louvers. Never have seen anyone actually calculate it. One guy claims small gap destroyed his engine or something like that. Lot of things could be measured and posted as actual information, instead of arguing about it.

I may look for the cut open 3614 I had in the garage and measure the diameters. Talk is great but pics and numbers better. Beaten down fiber nubs don't center so great. End cap gap is as big a topic to oil flow as inlet hole size or louvers. Never have seen anyone actually calculate it. One guy claims small gap destroyed his engine or something like that. Lot of things could be measured and posted as actual information, instead of arguing about it.

Arguing? ... it's called a technical discussion. Metal nubs don't wear down on metal end caps. Fiber nubs don't totally "wear down", they might deform slightly with mileage on the filter, but it still doesn't change the flow area between the can and end cap.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Arguing? ... it's called a technical discussion. Metal nubs don't wear down on metal end caps. Fiber nubs don't totally "wear down", they might deform slightly with mileage on the filter, but it still doesn't change the flow area between the can and end cap.

That's right, arguing, I can use words I choose.
34.gif
Why don't you go measure something and leave me alone.

UOA is back:

Mobil1 5W-30 EP, 4999mi, 2007 Prius Touring, 89816

Looks really good. I bought the same year prius new and daughter now has it. I have been using the 4386 size, easier to reach. Since new , it has about 73K now she drives a lot, it has never had anyone else change the oil except me. I don't jack it up, have managed to do every change on flat ground laying on a piece of cardboard. I have a TG 4386 on it now. I do have one of these xg4367 left, maybe I'll put it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back