real maple syrup vs Log Cabin etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Anyone else refuse to use the colored maple-flavored corn syrup goop? Some of it reminds me of a Lucas product the way it pours and strings from the bottle to the plate. Yuck. One of our few food indulgences is pure maple syrup for our homemade blueberry waffles.

Being originally from Vermont, anything other than real maple syrup is an affront.

Like offering that red watery glitch called "Manhattan Clam Chowder" to a New Englander...

Only the real stuff. Can get it for $10/qt if lucky... Market Basket or BJs during a sale.

Used to make it myself with a turkey fryer but the cost in propane was about the cost of store-bought.

Mom used to make syrup from water, sugar and this stuff called Maplene. Tastes 'zactly like store brand syrup. Interesting factoid about store brand syrup. Up until about 2K. store brand had a higher %age of real Maple syrup than any of the advertised brands. I don't make pancakes often, but when I do , I go for comfort, not sense.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Mom used to make syrup from water, sugar and this stuff called Maplene. Tastes 'zactly like store brand syrup. Interesting factoid about store brand syrup. Up until about 2K. store brand had a higher %age of real Maple syrup than any of the advertised brands. I don't make pancakes often, but when I do , I go for comfort, not sense.

My mom did the same thing. The price of real maple syrup makes it almost a luxury to me. Anyway that’s all in the past. With type 2 diabetes, I have to stay away from those sort of things.

Spend a few weeks in W. Africa and Log Cabin becomes heavenly … (especially with some imported butter)

You make homemade waffles tough guy ???
smile.gif

I'm just messing/joking with ya.
I agree with you 100%. I only use organic real maple syrup in my spiral ham glaze. And it is great for French toast my lady makes as well.

Last edited:
Maple syrup is the only pancake syrup I will tolerate. That corn syrup junk is awful.

Something I've learned: At a restaurant, if you ask them if they have real maple syrup, the only answers you can really trust are:

1. No
2. I don't know

If they say yes, maybe they have it, or maybe they just don't know the difference. The only form of "yes" that counts for anything is something like "oh, come on -- of course it's real maple syrup! What do you take us for?"

It's extremely expensive in California. The only way to buy it is through Costco. I was using it to sweeten my coffee for awhile before I discovered that I can't afford to use it everyday.

When I visit Vermont, I always purchase a mason jar of proper grade B syrup. The tree sap later in the year contains less sugar and much more of it needs to be boiled down to make syrup.

Yes, I understand the grading system has changed. Still, some small sellers continue to label it grade B.

Grade B is thicker, darker, and has been boiled down longer. Tastier.

Last edited:
Sap from our trees contribute to our neighbor's large, commercial sized kettle.
....so I'm an expert????

Maple syrup is a real food. Sap is rendered down at a ratio of 25:1 to 40:1 depending on circumstances and water content.

If you eat a stack of pancakes with corn syrup (Log Cabin etc.) you'll want to drink 10 glasses of water as your poor body tries to dissolve all that evil stuff.

You can eat 3 stacks of pancakes soaked with real maple syrup and everything will be OK. That's because it's real.

More calcium than....lots of things. Look it up for yourself. TRANSLATION: I forget!

Maple syrup stands up to vanilla ice cream. It's great in tea.

I find if put it in coffee it disappears. Try for yourself but you will waste maple syrup.

It's a great addition to oatmeal cookie recipes.

Wanna good, basic breakfast? Shredded wheat with unsweetened rice/almond/soy milk with a drizzle of maple syrup. REAL GOOD.

I used to leave the cat some of the remaining liquid. She loved it.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
When I visit Vermont, I always purchase a mason jar of proper grade B syrup. The tree sap later in the year contains less sugar and much more of it needs to be boiled down to make syrup.

Yes, I understand the grading system has changed. Still, some small sellers continue to label it grade B.

Grade B is thicker, darker, and has been boiled down longer. Tastier.

Yes, I like the darker stuff too.
We tap one tree and get a few quarts out of it.

We use it daily and honestly I think wastefully sometimes.

My wife keeps bees and we typically exchange mason quarts of our honey for mason quarts of maple syrup from a local producerl here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back