GL4 75W90 gear oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for three quarts of full synthetic GL4 75W-90 gear oil, for a decent price (under $10 a quart)

Stuff has become unicorn tears...

Anyone know where the unicorn graze?

Bought Redline for $20 on Amazon. Also available for $60/gal.

Made a huge difference on my Sorento's shifting, to my surprise.

I bought 2.5 gal of GL4 75-90 off Amazon when there was none to be found here. Was not too bad price and quick ship Prime.

What application are you looking to use this for. Redline has several gl4 lubes that work well in different applications.

The other thing to note is Napa sells a cheap gl4 conventional gear oil with like no additives or anything. In some generic looking black bottle. I've used it before and it shifts as well as red line mt90 and MTL but you have to change it more often.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Stop being a cheap skate is my advice.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Yep, buy a dedicated MTF specifically designed for MT's such as Redline MT-90 or Amsoil MTG.

A cheapskate mineral 80W90 GL4 of inherently higher KV@40*C is superior in components protection against a super extensive fully synthetic (or blend) 75W90 GL4 , most of the time.

Originally Posted By: zeng
A cheapskate mineral 80W90 GL4 of inherently higher KV@40*C is superior in components protection against a super extensive fully synthetic (or blend) 75W90 GL4 , most of the time.

Does the KV@100*C not matter? Redline MT/90 has a KV@100*C of 15.6

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: zeng
A cheapskate mineral 80W90 GL4 of inherently higher KV @40*C is superior in components protection against a super extensive fully synthetic (or blend) 75W90 GL4 , most of the time.

Does the KV @100*C not matter? Redline MT/90 has a KV @100*C of 15.6

Yes,it matters ... only when MTF temperature is 80-100*C majority of the time in, a limited # of passenger car transmissions that travels at high speed above say, 65 mph for 1 hour and above per start, with heavy loads towing or long hill climb.
Fact is most passenger car transmissions max at 60-80*C, and starting sump temperatures is always near ambients of 30*C and below.
Many passenger car transmissions that travels 2-4 hours non-stop at 65 mph do not hit 80*C or 75*C, btw.

Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle is what I'm using in my two Mitsubishi with Getrag gearbox. Have the feeling they cheapened out the formula a bit recently, recent oil change doesn't feel the same.

There's also a Mitsubishi/Diamond stuff you might be able to buy at Mitsu dealerships.

Due to the said different feeling (there was a new logo on the packaging stating some improvement in formula or whatever, and it doesn't feel as smooth as usual I'm considering switching to Castrol Transaxle, which is a GL4+. I've not been able to source the Shell Spirax locally
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back